classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

failed soldering iron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: failed soldering iron Reply with quote

My TC rewire soldering has been stopped in it's tracks with the failure of my soldering iron.

The Weller 100 watt was supposed to be "the best". At £100 I would have expected better in terms of reliability. Admittedly, the iron is long out of warranty but I am still feeling gutted. I might just as well have bought a super cheapo for all the good this is.

Is there anyone here who might be able to help me repair it? I have bought a cheapo replacement which should be here by the end of the week.

(Oh, and yes the fuse and plug is O.K.!)

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at soldering irons on line the other day there were quite a few spares available, if you think it's worth repairing it rather than buying a cheap replacement.

I killed my soldering "gun" because I didn't read the bit about not keeping it on for too long, and kept it on too long. Daft idea, if there's a limit there was plenty of room in the case to put some kind of time or thermal cut-out circuit.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
When I was looking at soldering irons on line the other day there were quite a few spares available, if you think it's worth repairing it rather than buying a cheap replacement.

I killed my soldering "gun" because I didn't read the bit about not keeping it on for too long, and kept it on too long. Daft idea, if there's a limit there was plenty of room in the case to put some kind of time or thermal cut-out circuit.

Trouble is I don't know what all the various parts/wires etc. are supposed to do... or how to test them. Confused
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, If I were you I'd just replace it with a cheap china made unit, unless of course you plant to use it every day.

I have some Antex & Weller irons that go back to 80's schooldays still going strong, although seen little use in the last 20 years , there is not much to go wrong with them.

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 100w Antex soldering iron a few years ago for bigger jobs and was disappointed with the way it failed when not long out of warranty. A replacement element was available to be sure; but when I took it apart I found part of the main body of the thing (it's a few years ago now and I forget the exact details) had fractured off making it impossible to earth the iron properly. No doubt some bodgers would have been happy with a non earthed soldering iron, but I saw it as an accident waiting to happen and replaced it with a cheap chinky one off fleabay. Let's face it, these things are all cheap chinky stuff nowadays, it's just that some of them have more expensive labels than others.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that last point is true. I was disappointed with the feeble materials and general cheapness. I paid out for what I assumed to be a quality item.

It seems you can't win. Sad
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly you need to establish what still works, so check whether power is coming from the transformer. Check whether there is continuity through the element. check whether the thermostat has continuity when cold. Having done that I think you will have established what is faulty. The thermostat works from the magnetic properties of the tip. They can stick an giving them a thump can persuade them to work. Just whack the tip holder/element onto your bench top.

Sorry, I can't remember whether the element and thermostat can easily be dismantled.

HTH

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have abut a dozen irons of various wattages. They all work, but the tips probably all need replacing. I even have a huge old iron with a wood handle and rubber cord. It still works!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Clearly you need to establish what still works, so check whether power is coming from the transformer. Check whether there is continuity through the element. check whether the thermostat has continuity when cold. Having done that I think you will have established what is faulty. The thermostat works from the magnetic properties of the tip. They can stick an giving them a thump can persuade them to work. Just whack the tip holder/element onto your bench top.

Sorry, I can't remember whether the element and thermostat can easily be dismantled.

HTH

Peter

Is the transformer the white thing that the green wire and white wires are connected to?

...and what does the blue bit do.?

There is a clear plastic bit that the spring fits on to?

The spring is about the only component I recognise but I don't know why it is there.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ray,

Sorry, I assumed you had a temperature controlled Weller like this:

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4Z762_AS01

Please ignore my post. I think you have mains voltage iron. I don't know if it has the magnetic thermostat but you could try hitting it on the bench.

Peter.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, If I were you I'd just replace it with a cheap china made unit, unless of course you plant to use it every day.

I have some Antex & Weller irons that go back to 80's schooldays still going strong, although seen little use in the last 20 years , there is not much to go wrong with them.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

Hi Dave. As I explained in my original post I HAVE ordered a cheap iron and should have it by the end of the week. As it happens, I AM using it on a daily basis and will need it not just for this rewire but any number of jobs in the future. It just seems that when you spend £100 on a Weller these days - which always had a good reputation - you might just as well throw your money down the drain. Crying or Very sad
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my father’s favourite sayings was “is it good value for money “ there is no point in buying something expensive if you only use it once or buy something cheap if you expect it to last a lifetime. 20 years ago I bought a router to do a job it was a B&Q special and cost a penny under £30 it did the job required and a couple of others since, in total I’ve used it Les than half a dozen times. I could have bought a Bosch for £120 but it wouldn’t have done the job any better. Buying the best is not always good value for your money and buying the most expensive doesn’t always mean you get the best.

Morris 8 two seater
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
One of my father’s favourite sayings was “is it good value for money “ there is no point in buying something expensive if you only use it once or buy something cheap if you expect it to last a lifetime. 20 years ago I bought a router to do a job it was a B&Q special and cost a penny under £30 it did the job required and a couple of others since, in total I’ve used it Les than half a dozen times. I could have bought a Bosch for £120 but it wouldn’t have done the job any better. Buying the best is not always good value for your money and buying the most expensive doesn’t always mean you get the best.

I was given advice in the same vein; "When you first buy tools buy cheaper , when they fail replace with better quality"

Another builder mate of mine, now only buys Aldi cordless tools, on the basis that there is no difference in a Aldi drill or a DeWalt one after they have been dropped off the scaffolding, something his staff seen to do quite frequently Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: