classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Badly bent XK150 going up for auction £10k-15k est
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't get me wrong; I want my indicators to be seen or there is no point in having them. I think, however, that with a bit more thought, a suitable compromise can sometimes be reached which respects the character of the car.

With my MG TC I plan to fit "torpedo" style (Lucas1130 type) side lights to the slab tank. ( There are removable end panels ) They have a diffused lens but amber bulbs and match those on the front.

Not to everyone's taste, admittedly, but they will do for me.

lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was surely a joke, the estimated value. I can't believe that the auctioneers actually believed what they had posted as a putative value had any bearing n the outcome. The XK150S 3.8 drophead is a seriously rare car, with only 89 made in RHD. Cars have been sold for over £200,000 although the only one I managed to find sold in the last five years was LHD and sold for £125,000. Whatever, the golden brick prize surely goes to Bonhams who sold the car as is for £90,000.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

With my MG TC I plan to fit "torpedo" style (Lucas1130 type) side lights to the slab tank.

A nice subtle compromise.

Peter
Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen indicators similar to the ones on the Y type which have been fitted on the bumper irons in such a way that they can be easily removed when at a show, the wiring has plug fittings which tuck away, leaving the car looking close to original.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photo I posted there is also a rather nice folding luggage rack. It is an expensive item but one I am thinking about buying. The advantage is that a trunk (or whatever) can be carried with the weight lower down compared with some that ignore the centre of gravity. Wink

(BTW, Imagine what my dear wife would say if that battered old Jag had turned up on our drive! Shocked Surprised Laughing)
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have taken up the quill once again to write articles on Jaguar auction prices I'll put in my two pennoth on the xK150S that sold over the weekend. Bonhams (and they are not alone in this) obviously had a terrible off day when estimating this car at £15,000. This was a rare car, that's for sure. Jaguar, at the end of the XK before the E-type was launched, added the "S" to what was a pretty good tourer, but in adding a third carburettor improved performance, and the this model, the XK150S 3.8, was the cream of the crop. Jaguar only made 2,672 "S" models, of which only a paltry 89 were RHD 3.8 models. Looking through the photos the damage is severe, but strangely from what I can see the shut lines don't look that far out either. And I am wondering if someone out there spotted at another auction there was an XK150 chassis for sale, and it went quite cheaply. I tried to research the auction prices of the model but could not find that a similar car has come up for auction. Not one, except a LHD 3.4 five years ago. Once finished and back in a pristine condition, this car is probably worth the thick end of £200,000 in today's market, so while the price was high, someone obviously saw value in it. The engine alone, assuming intact, would fetch at least £10,000 just because of what it is - rare.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price for that Jaguar just doesn't make sense; for less than £20k more you could buy the finished article, complete with a no 1 registration!

Perhaps the buyer is wishing to instigate a divorce!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1323625

lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike, but you are comparing chalk with cheese. The XK150 was the mainstream model, twin carbs only, and this is the XK 150S, another beast altogether, and always much sought after due to its rarity. That little "S" badge under the quarterlight is worth a lot of money.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Since I have taken up the quill once again to write articles on Jaguar auction prices I'll put in my two pennoth on the xK150S that sold over the weekend. Bonhams (and they are not alone in this) obviously had a terrible off day when estimating this car at £15,000. This was a rare car, that's for sure. Jaguar, at the end of the XK before the E-type was launched, added the "S" to what was a pretty good tourer, but in adding a third carburettor improved performance, and the this model, the XK150S 3.8, was the cream of the crop. Jaguar only made 2,672 "S" models, of which only a paltry 89 were RHD 3.8 models. Looking through the photos the damage is severe, but strangely from what I can see the shut lines don't look that far out either. And I am wondering if someone out there spotted at another auction there was an XK150 chassis for sale, and it went quite cheaply. I tried to research the auction prices of the model but could not find that a similar car has come up for auction. Not one, except a LHD 3.4 five years ago. Once finished and back in a pristine condition, this car is probably worth the thick end of £200,000 in today's market, so while the price was high, someone obviously saw value in it. The engine alone, assuming intact, would fetch at least £10,000 just because of what it is - rare.

I agree, whether Bonhams got the estimate wrong , or pitched it low to gain interest is up for debate! I also think it looks worse that it is, as Lowdrag points out the shut lines don't look bad, the doors still open, and the hood fits. On an XK150 there is over 18" from the bumper to the engine, so I suspect the engine won't have been terminally damaged from the accident.
If the front wings and bonnet were removed it wouldn't look half as bad.

If I'd have thought for one minute that the car would go for less than £15K I'd have bid myself!

I hope it get restored retaining as much of the original car as possible.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: