classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My new pop project - '53 Sit Up and Beg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
AmusingEmu

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I could find the original 8hp engine a home for a reasonable fee Smile

Another option, if you can find any, is to look out for Ford E83W pickup wheels. They are 16" diameter like the Prefect, but a slightly wider section.

RJ

I have not got a clue what its worth but happy for you to drop me a message with a price if you want it if and when it comes out.

Will keep an eye out for the wheels. have to say this is an incredibly helpful forum and the knowledge is fantastic. Glad to be a part of it!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmusingEmu wrote:
Rick wrote:

Another option, if you can find any, is to look out for Ford E83W pickup wheels. They are 16" diameter like the Prefect, but a slightly wider section.

RJ

I have not got a clue what its worth but happy for you to drop me a message with a price if you want it if and when it comes out.

Will keep an eye out for the wheels. have to say this is an incredibly helpful forum and the knowledge is fantastic. Glad to be a part of it!

I don't need an engine exactly but it never harms to have another around, if it runs ok. Just bear me in mind when it does get removed please.

ta
RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmusingEmu wrote:

Suspension will be going as on closer inspection the leaf springs have had it so will be look to replace everything, likely end up replacing the front axle with a Viva or having looked at sizes etc a MX5 front should work without needing narrowing.

I feel you are making a lot of work for yourself by doing this. It will be very difficult to re engineer from a beam axle to independent suspension with all new hubs and steering without knowing the outcome. Most hot rodders would tell you to have a new chassis built. You may go to a lot of trouble and expense and it still handle like a pig.

Why not just replace the transverse leaf spring with a new one and improve upon the radius arms with the addition of a lateral Panhard rod to properly locate the axle. This will greatly improve on the tendency for the car to wander.

Last edited by Ray White on Wed May 19, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you start changing engines in these, then you face changing the transmission and axles anyway. The original Anglia/Pop doesn't have an open prop, so matching a different engine/box to the Pop's torque tube driveline is far from easy. You wouldn't really want the standard rear axle anyway I'd have thought, as it'll be geared quite low and would limit any benefits of installing a pokier engine. I don't think there are any significantly different CW&P sets that fit inside the Pop axle casing. You could raise the gearing a little by opting for 18" wheels from an E83W van.

RJ
AmusingEmu

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Once you start changing engines in these, then you face changing the transmission and axles anyway. The original Anglia/Pop doesn't have an open prop, so matching a different engine/box to the Pop's torque tube driveline is far from easy. You wouldn't really want the standard rear axle anyway I'd have thought, as it'll be geared quite low and would limit any benefits of installing a pokier engine. I don't think there are any significantly different CW&P sets that fit inside the Pop axle casing. You could raise the gearing a little by opting for 18" wheels from an E83W van.

RJ

Planned on going down the tried and tested 105e Rear axle route which seems to allow for greater flexibility on the engine front.

Transmission will be changed over aswell to suit.

Will take onboard the leaf spring vs independent suspension issues, have been discussing this at length with a friend who previously replaced his with full coilovers all round but always happy to learn from everyone else's experiences
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmusingEmu wrote:

but always happy to learn from everyone else's experiences

You are 100% correct on that score, experience can save a lot of £'s as you have found.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?81015-My-new-103e-Project
AmusingEmu

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
AmusingEmu wrote:

but always happy to learn from everyone else's experiences

You are 100% correct on that score, experience can save a lot of £'s as you have found.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?81015-My-new-103e-Project

exactly. Between what ive found on NSRA and here it has actually changed the build quite considerably, still waiting for Kapri to reply on the BIVA guide as that will definitely help.

Will run the car as standard over the summer and then see what im not happy with
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

RJ

These will likely be found next to the box of hens' teeth? Smile
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
AmusingEmu wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

I don't need an engine exactly but it never harms to have another around, if it runs ok. Just bear me in mind when it does get removed please.

ta
RJ

Rick, I was making an assumption as to engine size. The OP needs to look in the V5c to confirm engine's cubic capacity?] I would hate to see our Anglia suddenly go screaming off into the sunset because you'd obtained a 10HP engine believing it to be an 8HP engine? Smile Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Rick wrote:
AmusingEmu wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

ta
RJ

Rick, I was making an assumption as to engine size. The OP needs to look in the V5c to confirm engine's cubic capacity?] I would hate to see our Anglia suddenly go screaming off into the sunset because you'd obtained a 10HP engine believing it to be an 8HP engine? Smile Smile

I do have an 1172 engine as it happens, sat under the bench just in case of emergencies....and I do have a plan for it, but not in the Anglia

RJ
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think there are any significantly different CW&P sets that fit inside the Pop axle casing.

There are indeed. Buckler and others offered lower [higher?] ratios to suit specials etc.
Even the final drive from the 100E axle can be adapted to fit.[see FSOC archives for articles]

I include a link to a spreadsheet from the Dellow Register , which lists all the known gar ratios, and from which gearbox...Hence why I have an 8HP box, in case I go trialing in my Dellow, and a 10HP box for road use, and a Buckler D-type box which is useless on steep gradients, effectively placing 1st & 2nd gear where 2nd gear is as standard.

https://de014b2b-73aa-4d0a-bd58-59010e074433.filesusr.com/ugd/7c7e52_0895eb1b9f6244a0b847d799e24543de.pdf
AmusingEmu

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Rick wrote:
AmusingEmu wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

ta
RJ

I do have an 1172 engine as it happens, sat under the bench just in case of emergencies....and I do have a plan for it, but not in the Anglia

RJ

It is the almighty 8HP in this one so less desirable for most im afraid
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out, the 8HP & 10HP annotations refer to the RAC rating, for vehicle taxation purposes, and not the actual power outputs.
To be fair, the sidevalve Ford engines of the '50's compared very well, output-wise, with all the major competitors. Plus, both 8HP, 10HP and 100E engines were in fact, very strong...weren't prone to breaking stuff inside. hence a reason why they were so popular with tuners for racing and other motorsporting activities?

Of course, there are some folk out there who have really rung some performance out of their Anglias...

One Nigel Hilling trials his....his engine is 1172ccs, but sports on overhead inlet cylinder head[s]..good old STaN the Anglia...I loved seeing it out & about! Really well engineered & modified.
My Dellow runs Ford sidevalve power...I often have to back off as the [ford pop] speedo heads over the 70 mph mark. revs are high at that speed, however.

Like the Citroen 2CV or Renault 4, how fast they go really depends on the driver??
AmusingEmu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been an eventful few days for the car.

I took it out for a 30mile lunchtime trip, thoroughly enjoyable and she handled it surprisingly well, however I now have an ever expanding list of niggles that need fixing.

Current list of issues:

Horn doesn’t work
Speedo flicks from 30-50 constantly
Indicators aren’t independent- turn left or right and the hazards come on
Front passenger headlight doesn’t work
About 3-4 inches of play in the steering
Literally no suspension
Lack of wing mirrors makes manoeuvring interesting
Drivers seat has about an inch of movement left to right and doesn’t seem seated properly

Have decided that the engine just doesnt cut it and that this needs to be replaced for long term longevity with parts etc.

So I now have a 1.8 Zetec blacktop and Type 9 Gearbox - have been made aware that a MX5 gearbox will also work with an adapter so if we struggle for space then this might be the route to go down

The rad was starting to show alot of surface rust so this has been touched up to tide me over until I make a start on the new engine

105e Rear Axle got taken back to bare metal and painted up to hopefully last another 60 years

Diff got a touch up too

[/url]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when/if the engine and box become available, and PM me a price please. I don't need either but spares never go amiss ...!

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: