classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Facebook Cloning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Facebook Cloning Reply with quote

Someone attempted to clone my Facebook account today.

Having just spent some time warning my FB friends not to accept any additional Friend Request from "me" I would suggest that everyone go into settings and make your Friends List only visible to yourself. The default is "Public".

Apologies to any of you who may have already received a "Friend Request" apparently from me in the last day or two. If you accepted it then please now "Un-Friend" it or your FB information will now be available to the cloner. If you do receive a request from "me" then please report it to Facebook.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they hacked your account , or are they pretending to be you with a clone account?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes I spotted that on FB earlier, thanks for the heads-up.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Have they hacked your account , or are they pretending to be you with a clone account?

I have no evidence of hacking my account but have changed its password. The only thing I'm aware of is some existing FB friends received Friend Requests supposedly from me with my photo heading them. I hope I've warned all the existing friends and others who might assume they were receiving a genuine request. I posted on all the forums I use but there's no guarantee that everyone will see the warning.

Peter Sad
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Facebook Reply with quote

got a sudden notice from Facebook saying my account has bene 'frozen. possible hacking issue? however you cannot get in touch with Facebook and any 'mails' are subject several weeks response time. no way to ask exactly what had occurred? or how to get around issues . worse still ..Facebook simply wont respond to any questions .. so in limbo. looks like permanent non Facebook for me Sad
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook Reply with quote

Clactonguy wrote:
got a sudden notice from Facebook saying my account has bene 'frozen. possible hacking issue? however you cannot get in touch with Facebook and any 'mails' are subject several weeks response time. no way to ask exactly what had occurred? or how to get around issues . worse still ..Facebook simply wont respond to any questions .. so in limbo. looks like permanent non Facebook for me Sad

Looks like a phishing mail designed to trick you to in to divulging your Facebook credentials by logging on to a look alike Facebook home page that the scammers have mocked up. The format of the senders email usually gives the game away.
There is nothing Facebook can do.
All you need to do is login to your Facebook account that in its self will prove its not "Frozen" and if you are still concerned change your password, which is good practice to do regularly anyway.

Don't let these scammers win!

Dave
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding to this thread and for those who may not be aware. It is sometimes best not to "unsubscribe" to sites that may have appeared in your "spam" or "trash".. the unsubscribe link sometimes sends out your request and therefore your e-mail address to a whole list of e-mail addresses that can then send you even more "spam" and "trash"...
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of email addresses, I recently picked up this tip for gmail users on another forum which I hadn't heard of before. I'm not sure how widely it's known.

If you have a gmail address, let's say it's fredsmith201 at gmail.com, you can add things to it after a + sign which you can use to figure out where junk email comes from if you so wish.

For example if I fill in a form on the Practical Classics site (they have prize draws and so on) I'll use fredsmith+pc at gmail.com. The + and anything following it (as far as the @) are ignored for routing the email, but the whole thing will appear in your email client.

So if you remember to use it everywhere, and then suddenly start getting more spam / junk emails, you can at least see who it was that shared your email address, presuming you can remember the list of suffixes you used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: