classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How heavy is an electric car?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: How heavy is an electric car? Reply with quote

How heavy is a Nissan Leaf?

This is not something I had thought about until a few days ago.
My home is right on the edge of a section of the Gwydyr forest here in Betws y Coed and one of the main walking routes to an upland lake is immeadiately behind. It's a Forestry Commission (now called Natural Resouces Wales) "road" and why it appears on sat nav systems is a mystery to me.
Over the years scores of drivers have found their way or rather, their sat nav systems have sent them down an appallingly rough steep hill to a locked Forestry Commission gate behind my home.

The road now designated a bridle path is really only suitable for four wheel drive vehicles and many ordinary cars have damaged their undersides, suspensions and steerings on this "road".

At dusk a few days ago I heard break squeal, skidding noises and finally a thump as a Nissan Leaf managed to avoid the gate and ended up in a ditch at it's side.

The driver was clearly shaken and upset and his mobile phone calls for recovery all yielded negative responses or help only the following day.
I offered to haul the Leaf out of the ditch and uphill with my Defender 110 TD5 which I thought it would do with ease.

I was shocked that even with a strong double marine grade rope, low ratio first gear in my Land Rover and the Nissan attempting to reverse out in conjuction with my "pull", the Leaf could only move a few inches such was it's weight. When I smelled a burning clutch, I stopped the attempt.

In the end the Leaf's owner decided to accept damage and let me pull him out sideways and downhill. The rear panel was damaged as was the rear wing but the Leaf's owner was only too glad to be pulled out.
I refused his offer of payment for my help.

He admitted afterwards that even on his level drive, two people could only push the Nissan only a very short distance with the gear in neutral and handbrake off such was it's weight.

Battery technology may have moved on but the weight of the same has yet to be addressed.

Thought provoking. What do you think?

Isn't the Lithium which is used in the batteries toxic and non degradable?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric Cars - Lithium - Recycle-ability - and maybe high voltage/fire issues.

A subject to draw more opinions than the goal against Germany in 1966.

I don't have the answers as for weight but I would bet there is a man that has.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Nissan LEAF Prices & Specifications - Nissan UK
https://www.nissan.co.uk › New Car Deals › Overview
Weights & Dimensions · Maximum payload, kg. 450 · Kerb weight, kg. 1,709 - 1,726 · Gross Vehicle Weight, kg. 2,140 · Overall width with mirrors, mm. 2,030

What's the difference between kerb weight and Gross weight please? But whatever 2140 kgs is 2.36 tons Shocked Shocked Shocked
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
New Nissan LEAF Prices & Specifications - Nissan UK
https://www.nissan.co.uk › New Car Deals › Overview
Weights & Dimensions · Maximum payload, kg. 450 · Kerb weight, kg. 1,709 - 1,726 · Gross Vehicle Weight, kg. 2,140 · Overall width with mirrors, mm. 2,030

What's the difference between kerb weight and Gross weight please? But whatever 2140 kgs is 2.36 tons Shocked Shocked Shocked

Kerb weight is the weight of the vehicle alone, gross weight is the maximum with passengers and load.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth listening to a group of people who all wish to promote the provision of battery car charging points. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xfhr

The provision of accessible points for car owners without driveways is only one of the logistical problems to be solved. Plugging into lampposts conjures up a vision lots of very long leads or a drastically reduced car ownership.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the old days, electric trams [trams as per Crich tram museum, not Sheffield y things]....there was a system of pickup using 'contact' studs set between the rails.

Given the propensity for cyclists [who cycled for transport, nto for health reasons]....to wear hobnailed boots, people did not acquire curly hair 6 times a ride.

SO there might be a system of contact points set into the road surface, a regular intervals, whereby sparklycars can {p}ark over them and recharge their batteries?

Then there the teck nology that allows phones to be recharged simply by placing the whole phone onto a pad? With no real physical contact?

But, I ask, who will pay for all this?

Surely it has to be solely the electric car owner?

...................and nobody else?

Dodgems, anyone??
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what annoys me about Government spending. I honestly believe they have got it wrong and as time goes by the uptake of plug in cars will slow right down. What appears to have been forgotten is that many townspeople who might prefer an electric car in principle, live in flats. Most of them would not have access to a convenient charging point.

I think if as much money had been put into cleaning up hydrogen production then fuel cell technology would look completely different to how it does now.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magnitude of the battery car charging structure appears to have been overlooked. Hydrogen production may not be especially efficient but isn't it better to have a costly system that works rather than one that excludes a very large part of today's motoring public.

There is probably a slightly hidden green agenda here. We need fewer cars so we'll just make ownership impossible for lots of folk.

"On your bike!" As a past MP was quoted as saying.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have favoured Hydrogen over Electric, however I think that there is now too much momentum in developing electric vehicles in the private sector for it to be any other than electric in the future.

The concept of hooking up to lamp posts for anything other than the equivalent of trickle charging is flawed; lamp posts have cabling designed to supply, at max a few hundred watts per lamp post, not the kilo watts required to charge EV batteries.

I suspect the Government are banking on improved future battery technology, if we could get 500 miles from a 30 min charge then the challenge for flat owners and the like diminishes.

I does feel as if we are asking the designers to develop something akin to burning the candle from both ends; we want high capacity, quick charge and long battery life; if candles had 3 ends it would be a closer analogy !

Dave
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be on your "electric" bike Peter?
P
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Would that be on your "electric" bike Peter?
P

Oh, I think I could concede to a battery bike if pressed.

Peter Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
if we could get 500 miles from a 30 min charge then the challenge for flat owners and the like diminishes.

Dave

I'm told that the Kia e-Niro has a 64kWh battery and will do 250 miles or so on that. So we'd need an extra battery and for a full 500 mile charge in 30 minutes the charger would need to supply 256kW and if we assume 240 volts that would be more that 1000 amps. Best left to Tesla (Nikola Tesla that is.)

hmmm!!

Peter Rolling Eyes

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
if we could get 500 miles from a 30 min charge then the challenge for flat owners and the like diminishes.

Dave

I'm told that the Kia e-Niro has a 64kWh battery and will do 250 miles or so on that. So we'd need an extra battery and for a full 500 mile charge in 30 minutes the charger would need to supply 256kW and if we assume 240 volts that would be more that 1000 amps. Best left to Tesla (Nikola Tesla that is.)

hmmm!!

Peter Rolling Eyes

Yep, the laws of physics are what they are! Smile
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it is important at all, but just as a fleeting matter of interest, "on yer bike" was, I believe, a made up quote by a red top newspaper.

Former Tory Secretary of State for Employment Norman Tebbit was reminiscing about his unemployed Father. This is what he actually said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_pDM1N7i0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: