classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Singer Gazelle 1964 Timing marks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Singer Gazelle 1964 Timing marks Reply with quote

Hi Guys.
I was enlisted today to help a mate who has been bequeathed a rather dilapidated Gazelle. Been parked in a barn since 1994. We've been trying to get it running with full overhaul of plugs, points, distributor cap, leads and condenser, rotor etc.
We now have a lively spark and then turned to carburettor which is a Zenith, took apart, cleaned all jets. Float and valve OK, jets all clear, accelerator pump works, fuel getting in OK.
Still it will just not start. It's trying, almost starts but just won't keep going.
I turned attention to timing but cannot see any kind of ignition timing marks on the front of the engine or a timing pointer. Are we missing something?
Can anyone here post a picture of what we are looking for?
I can't seem to find an online manual.
I believe initial set up is 9 to 11 degrees.
I've tried twiddling distributor around but it still just won't run.
Any other suggestions gratefully received.
Peter
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest doing a compression check first if not, turn engine over slowly with starting handle you should feel all four compressions if not put car in first gear slowly push it again feel all four compressions, if ok, remove plugs squirt a little oil into bores turn eng over refit plugs retry, even if no timing marks remove no 1 plug stick finger in hole slowly turn with handle until tdc turn eng backwards then forward till nearly tdc check distributor should just be opening points on no 1, have you tried a little drop of brake cleaner in carb should run on that better than easy start, if still no go i would suspect low on compression, had a v/h victor f many years ago sometimes start cold but when warm no go eng worn out.
petelang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a compression test, Number one was very low but a few shots of oil improved it. All four now around 100 psi. Doubtless, rings will be a bit gummed up but should that be enough to get it to go?
I did turn it over to roughly TDC 1, both valves rocking on 1, and rotated distributor a bit either way but it wasn't having it.
I still don't know what to look for on timing marks though.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a notch on the crankshaft pulley?

Or is it one of those engines where the timing marks are actually on the flywheel edge? To be viewed through a hole ether in the back plate, or above the flywheel? Sometimes I've come across a rubber bung which hides the timing marks on the flywheel?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: