classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Motoring magazines
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Motoring magazines Reply with quote

Whats your favourite classic mag, or mags?

At one time I'd buy most titles every month, but as they are knocking on £4-£5 a pop now, I'm a lot more choosy.

Ones I look to buy every month:
The Automobile (deals with pre-1960 vehicles so suits me best!)
Classic Van and Pickup (lots of nice vans and pickups)

Quite regular:
Heritage Commercials (another old lorry title!)

Occasional buys for me are:
Motorsport (once or twice a year tops)
Practical Classics (same again, if there something in particular of interest)
Classic Car Weekly (several copies a year)
Motorsport (if something interesting is happening in F1)

What mags do you rate, and why?

Other possibilities could include Classic Cars, Classic & Sportscar, Octane, Classics, Classic Car Mart, and the many marque/model specific titles. Do overseas readers also receive these UK-published titles?

Rick
Question Question
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini magazine and what every I fancy when I go into the shop, also trying to descreetly read a certain load of old magazines!

I haven't seen that one you said Rick, the Classic Van and Pickup one, where do you get that, sounds a good one?

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't often see C V & P round here, the big newsagent on Crewe high st sometimes has it, but I don't often get over that way..otherwise its just pot luck

R
alfanut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most months, Auto Italia of course Smile It has a good mix of classic and modern features. Otherwise I tend to pick something if it has a few interesting articles, The Automobile, C V & P and Classic cars are normally on the shortlist.
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic American used to be my "never miss" magazine, however over the last three years or so I've bought more and more Heritage Commercials, Classic & Vintage Commercials and Classic Van & Pick-up.

The Fire Brigade Society magazine also figures in my reading, with an occasional Clasic & Sportscar, Old Glory and anything else that takes my fancy.

What I have realised up here in Scotland is we do not get the range of periodicals you guys get down south - W. H. Smith's selection is better than it used to be, as was the attutude of the staff if you tried to order a more unusual magazine, but the choice is still limited. I can't get Classic Van & Pick-up easily and titles like that, but if its Hello or Computing for the Brain Dead then the world's my oyster.

When I wander into somewhere like Barnes & Noble in the States I'm blown away at the range of stuff you can buy - Confederate Soldier, Souix Nation, Lighthouse Weekly, Build your own Plane, Sink Plug Collectors, etc, etc - don'tcha just love the Americans! Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I ocasionally pass the shop in Crewe, I allways mean to go in as it looks like they have alot of stuff!

The biggest selection of magazines I have ever seen is at a book shop on the retail park just behind Cheshire Oaks outlet shops, been twice and spend hours looking at the rows upon rows of magazines, probably as big as the whole of a large WH Smiths!

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to being a magazine addict!

Previously I would buy Car Mechanics, Practical Motorist, Hot car (remember that?) Practical classics, Popular classics, Motorcycle Mechanics, Bike, Superbike, Flypast, Aero monthly, and any number of incidental mags that I fancied along the way.

I still have most of them even though due to a past divorce and consequent house move I had to (reluctantly) get rid of several years worth!

My biggest regret is giving away my complete sets of Practical and Popular classics as they were invaluable for reference and pictures!

Nowadays I only buy Classic car weekly now and again, Practical classics whenever it suits, and the occasional Bike magazine, however I do still buy old copies of Car mechanics etc off ebay! Razz
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have subscriptions to........

Turning Wheels (Studebaker Club mag)
Car & Parts
Classic Car
Hot Rod
Rod & Custom
Super Chevy
Vintage Oval Racing
GoodGuys Rod & Custom (Club mag)
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collecting car magazines started back in 1964 when a friend of my father's would pass his old copy of Autocar to me when he had finished with it.

So currently in my loft I have:

Autocar 1964-1968
Classic and Sportscar 1975 to date
Classic Cars 1975 to date
Practical Classics 1980 to date
Motor Sport 1972-1982

My only "modern car" magazine:
CAR Magazine 1974 to date

And only because I was at school with the first Editor:
Custom Car 1970-1975
and finally
Hot Car 1968-1975

This is the first time I have ever listed them all and at a rough count I have almost 2000, and yes I have seen cracks in the ceiling when I build stacks of them away from supporting walls!

I still enjoy getting a box down every so often and reading through old ones.

I got an index for 20 years of Practical Classics a few years ago, does anyone know if indexes for the other titles exist anywhere?
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practical Classics...especially this month because my car is in it Very Happy
Classic Monthly...occasionally
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will have a gander at that if I remember on, which is your car?

Cheers

dave
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won "star car" Very Happy 1962 SAAB 96. I have'nt seen it yet as i dont subscribe but it should be in the shops over the next few days. ..not bad as i have won £150 worth of Halfords tools apparently Cool
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I should have asked for summat when they came photographing in the garage last year!! Rolling Eyes

Did you find out if there was a Pat Moss connection with your 96?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent chased it too much as Pat is very un-well. I have sent her the cars details including the East African registration...i havent heard yet but fingers crossed.
For everyone else here. It is roumered that my SAAB was either owned or even possibly rallied by Pat Moss-Carllson (Sir Stirling Moss's sister and married to SAAB legend Eric Carllson) in the 1962 East African Safari. I have the registration number but i cant find a single picture of Pat in the rally that shows the cars registration....Only 3 cars were in Nairobi in 1962 (information from SAAB Sweden)..2 in the rally and one that was owned by pat but never used in "anger"
I was introduced to Sir Sterling Moss at Goodwood Revival last year and he has helped me by passing on the request and information to his sister.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the registration number of your car back in the early 60s? I'll have a nosey in some books here, see if there are any pics

It mentions the '62 Safari here, she was competing in a light blue Sport model according to this site:
http://www.answers.com/topic/saab-sport

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: