classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

SEVERE weather...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: SEVERE weather... Reply with quote

I'm sure UJ in snowy Sweden finds our panic over 'severe' snowy weather quite amusing. The country grinds to a halt in many areas, schools are closed, and we're advised to only venture out if absolutely necessary. A whopping 3" of snow may settle, batten down the hatches chaps and chapesses!!

wheres my husky dog when I need it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6338151.stm

Rick
Rolling Eyes
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I am embarassed to be British. An inch or two of snow and the whole country stops.

Just about every school in my area (Essex) is closed, but it is half term next week, if there is still snow tomorrow, closure gives the staff two extra days holiday that doesn't come off their annual leave!

I live in a private road with a modest incline. Came home just now to see two neighbours in their posh new low profiled Mondeos and Mercedes sitting in the middle of the road, foot hard on the accelerator with their wheels spinning waiting for the snow underneath to melt to give them some traction!

I just drove past them in my Jeep Cherokee!

Best accident on the radio this morning - a petrol tanker unloading in a Petrol Station was hit by a tipper lorry that skidded in the forecourt!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does amuse me! Very Happy

We do have a tendency to prepare our cars better for Winter, although I will admit that the first icy roads of the winter bring many accidents, sometimes as many as 10 or so.... Laughing

UJ
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its looking a bit more like it now out there, albeit still not very thick

Anyone else got snaps to show out of the window?

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, by our standards, it looks like your cars have got dandruff! Laughing

Must admit though, I do like the picture. Reminds me of the 1950's

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my first experience of driving a one and a half ton Standard Vanguard in snow today.... er..... interesting! Shocked
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I love snow, but like Rick is saying I cannot understand why everyone stops!

I can't understand people who get stuck, simmilar to when people get stuck i mud so many people have no idea what to do and just sit there! I remember when I wa about 14 being shouted over by a big bloke, I only got his car unstuck after him trying for a fair while!

I did actually make a snowman today, haven't done that for years!

The mini is great in snow, real fun!!
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icey cold up here, sunshine all day - but no snow.
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 12 inches of snow on ground here, plus temps have been around -17 to -20F.
Water main broke up the street causing the sewer to back up. About 3 inches of water in my basement. Cleaning crew already at work. Sure glad I have insurance to cover it all.
kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Stuchamp, not very chilly here, about 30 c (forgotten what that is in real temp Smile ). Looks a bit like this

How 'bout some pics of your Stude (just to change the subject), my son has a '49 Stude pickup,I've had a few including '63 ,64,65 Cruiser 2 door's and a '64 Champ, great cars. Sorry to hear about your flood, hope it works out OK,cheers,Col.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had some real sideways action in the mini!! what fun!! Confused
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaybee, I would definitely like to trade weather with you! Smile

Nice conversion of an old military 6x4.

My toys can be seen in this thread..........
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=723&start=0
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an example of swedish weather. For the last 48 hours, its been snowing, and we have also had high winds. Its predicted that the snow will continue for another 24 hours. In spite of the fact that my front door is up a flight of steps, the snow was so deep that I couldn't open it! I went out with the Snow Plough this morning, and managed to get it stuck for a couple of minutes!

For us, this is a class 2 storm, which means it is not at the highest level, and probably wont be!

Anybody got a tracked vehicle to lend me?

UJ
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

You mean you haven't got one of these - it's classic, American and it seems you really need one!

More details at

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now, something like that is exactly what I need....though I was terrifying the village today with a borrowed endo..... Laughing

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: