classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What are you all reading?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: What are you all reading? Reply with quote

I have already admitted to being a magazine addict in another post, but it gets worse... I like to read book after book too! Laughing

The subjects that interest me are quite varied, in fact the only type of book I don't read is any work of fiction, otherwise I'm game.
I tend to read three or four books at a time (much to my wife's annoyance) and flit from one to the other until all are finished, currently I'm reading the Following:

RENOIR MY FATHER A biography of the French painter Renoir.

DERREN BROWN TRICKS OF THE MIND Mentalism and magic.

LONDONISTAN BY Melanie Phillips, an eye opening and frightening insight into Londons changing demographics.

THE WICKED WIT OF WINSTON CHURCHILL Very good bon-mots!

DER ROTE KAMPFLIEGER Autobiography of Manfred Von Richtofen.

Does anyone else read and if so what are you currently reading?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It a long time since I read a proper book, but when I do they are never fiction, but always something to do with either Engineering or Vehicles. Which I suppose is the same thing really!

If I remember correctly, the last thing that I read was a 1962 Ford Thunderbird Workshop Manual.... and the next one will be a 1965 Chrysler Manual when it arrives!

UJ
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Adrian Tinniswood's book about the Great Fire of London in 1666 and about to start Tom Devine's "Scotland's Empire 1600 - 1815" tonight.
Sitting on the by-line is "Scott's Last Journey" - I have a particular interest in one of Scott's team - Bernard Day, the motor engineeer. Day was responsible for driving and maintenance of the first internal combustion powered vehicle taken to the Antarctic, an Arrol Johnston in Shackletons earlier Nimrod expedition in 1907-09.

For light reading I've just finished reading most of C. S. Forrester's books, which are all of the Hornblower series (always a good swash-buckle!) and did you know he also wrote "The African Queen" and the book the film "The Pride and the Passion" was based on?
Got the Sharpe series in my sights, but they're going to have to want until later on this year when I get a minute!
xkjaguar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just finished Viking by Tim Severin which was ok
and Tyrant by Manfred Massino about Dionyssius in Sicily
im also re reading the Tom Clancys at the mo- Im on Sum of all Fears at present
For a really good read tho try the Conn Iggulden Emperor series a fictionalised account of the life of Julias Caesar cracking boys own stuff

i like to have 3 or 4 books on the go and dip in and out of them-- it drives the wife nuts--which is an added bonus Very Happy
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xkjaguar wrote:

i like to have 3 or 4 books on the go and dip in and out of them-- it drives the wife nuts--which is an added bonus Very Happy

I can't do that, I'm obviously a "linear reader"; every time I tried to read books at the same time with similar themes I ended up mixing up all the plots and utterly confusing myself! Rolling Eyes

So you'll be driving me nuts as well as your wife! Very Happy
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started Read all about it by Max Clifford.
I have a great deal of respect for that man as he has mastered the knack of using the media to promote or otherwise anything he wants.

The best part is he freely admits that much of what he says is not factually correct thereby exposing the strange British obsession with 'Celebrity' and the dangers of 'trial by media'.

In essence it is quite a dark and sinister world of manipulation, and like the best magicians Max Clifford does it right under our noses to convince the media - and thus the nation of anything! - Scary!
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke, Sand and Rubber by Methanol Mel Anthony
The author is a friend of mine.
http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/01727.htm#author

From A Buick 8 by Stephen King

Kurtis-Kraft........Masterworks of Speed & Style by Gordon Eliot White
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"First Overland" by Tim Slessor..printed in 1958... diary and thoughts from a team of 6 "chaps" from Oxford and Cambridge university who take 2 series 1 Land Rovers on the "Far Eastern Expidition"...London to Singapore..32,300 "road"miles Shocked
I lost a similar book called "around the top..and other places" about 2 guys who travel around the top of Australia in the wet season..again about 1958 and again in Land rovers...i was almost at the end when i moved house and the book never re-surfaced...i havent seen another copy in 10 years Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: