classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

More mystery photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very conclusive, as many manufacturers changed their radiator shape post-war, but this is a 1922 Vulcan, which shows a similar radiator top shape:

My guess is the mystery car was probably a one-off, so unless we can find some Southport sand-racing photos featuring this car, I doubt it will ever be confirmed ...
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
It might be worth sending a copy to Colin Poynter the Pre-37 Registrar of the Lea Francis Owners Club as a lot of Vulcans were sold as Leafs.
It might be a one off body for one of the race intended cars, they might know about it without having a photo for their gallery.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan cars I found also had wooden spoke wheels. If the driver worked for Vulcan who, at that time, made motor cars and it is on Southport Beach which has a long history of motor sport plus the technical information put forward by Mike C it is looking likely to be a "Vulcan Special". The Vulcan company used a Blacksmith figure for their mascots, very unusual profile....

Rick:... can you home in on the radiator mascot ?...
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Barrie Price's Leaf book the hubs and radiators of cars of that period look very different from the mystery car.

There are a couple of photos of Leaf "D" types that have solid disc wheels with four studs like the the Vulcan in Mike's photo but they have "V"ed radiators.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Looking at Barrie Price's Leaf book the hubs and radiators of cars of that period look very different from the mystery car.

Peter

A very valid point Peter (s)... but if one worked at Vulcan, is there not even the slightest leaning that it used Vulcan components.

Rick: Do you know the name of the gentleman in the photo ?

From Newspaper Archives:.. 1906 A Vulcan won First Prize at Blackpool Speed Trials....
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are discussing Vulcan cars perhaps it would be of interest to see a 1909 one being restored in New Zealand.
https://standupforsouthport.com/vulcan-mystery-appeal-from-classic-car-enthusiast-who-travelled-11468-miles-to-southport-to-find-answers/
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
The chap in the driver's seat worked for Vulcan, the lorry manufacturer, and the location is Southport beach. But what is the car?

RJ

The hubs on the car above look to me the same as those below.

Peter

mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received confirmation from 'one who knows' that this is, indeed, a Vulcan. He confirms that the location is Southport beach, where Vulcans raced a number of cars including this one; the driver is William Hampson, a member of the Hampson family who owned Vulcans. The original photo is in the Atkinson Museum in Southport. The date cannot be confirmed but is definitely pre-War, probably 1912,13, or 14.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike. I had looked into the Hampson family after finding several newspaper and motoring magazine articles which mentioned Hampson racing Vulcans at various locations. One in particular was on the East Coast at Saltburn. I came across an article that mentioned hill climbs held at Holme Moss. Although it didn't say which side, I would hazard a guess at the Holmfirth side as the bends and the gradient are more of a challenge than the Woodhead route....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
I have received confirmation from 'one who knows' that this is, indeed, a Vulcan. He confirms that the location is Southport beach, where Vulcans raced a number of cars including this one; the driver is William Hampson, a member of the Hampson family who owned Vulcans. The original photo is in the Atkinson Museum in Southport. The date cannot be confirmed but is definitely pre-War, probably 1912,13, or 14.

Excellent, thanks Mike, I'll pass that on. I have the name of Frank Horton as the driver, a company test driver.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; I'll pass that name on to my contact. Certainly the man in the WW1 ambulance photo has similarities to that in the racing car.
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for a change, here's a motorcycle that I would like to identify; my knowledge of 2-wheelers is pretty minimal, but my guess is it probably dates from the late 1920s or early 1930s, but beyond that I'm clueless:

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VH series ran from 1927 to 1936 (Huddersfield), not that it's much help.

(By the way, if you ever re-visit older threads you may see some of the photos I've posted disappear. That's because I used to run two web hosting accounts and the photos were split over the two. I've now cancelled the second account and consolidated things onto just the one.)

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find anything like it but it's funny the strange things you do find!

Kenham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that motorcycle rather intriguing , it almost looks like someone has built it with an air cooled stationary engine and has built the frame around it.
it looks to be a fair heavy thing, also the front brake seems to be on the outside of the wheel, very strange, lovely picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Page 128 of 144

Jump to: