classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Modern cars at Classic shows...Grrrrr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Modern cars at Classic shows...Grrrrr Reply with quote

What is it with some [i]classic[/i] car shows?

I can't help thinking that the paying public are being short-changed at some shows. Often, there will be a number of car club stands that are not full of properly old cars, but stuff that can be found parked outside any branch of Tesco's.

I understand that some clubs cater for owners with modern models, but that shouldn't mean that when a club gets a stand allocated to them at a classic car show, that these same modern models should be included in the display. If it is a marque-specific show then maybe seeing recent models doesn't matter, but when people expect to see 'classic' (for the sake of argument, cars aged 25yrs or older) cars, that is what they should get to see. Its great for the owner of a 10yr old (or less) car to be included in the display, as they get into the show free and enjoy showing their car off, but I think it dilutes the overall show quality if you walk past lots of shiny moderns when looking for older cars.

Is it me? does anyone agree or disagree??????

Rick.
:roll:
Floride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Modern cars at classic chows Reply with quote

There is this debat still as to what is classic and what is modern.

The original theory was that any vehicle which was tax exempt and therefore over 25 years old would be classified as classic and anything under 25 years old as modern. Unfortunately the Government changed the rules on tax exemption and made a cut of date of 1973, the year still confuses me as to why 1973. This means that the classic date would mean any vehicle over 33 years old at time of writing.

My personal believe is that classic shows should only be for vehicles that are tax exempt. I own both a 1960 and a 1974 car, I take my 1960 to the shows for the above reason but under the original 25 year rule I would also be able to take my 1974 car which is only 32 years old !
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, there is no debate as to what is classic, and what is modern!

I will admit that a fixed cut off date is a bit blurd, but, if you think about things a little, there was ONE major change to ALL cars around `72 -´74 that does put a barrier between the two. As the UK government has a cut off date of 1973 for tax exemption, then probably more by luck than good management they have got things more or less right!

Can anyone think what I am referring to? Because if you can, then the answer should be clear....
Floride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply by Uncle Joe Reply with quote

I have started something here and obviously missing something in Uncle Joe response.

Though he has given some clues I cannot find the answer, please tell us...

Thanks
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s not you that are missing something, its most people! I´m glad you answered in the way that you did, maybe more people will take part in this topic.

The veteran car era ended with World War I. The vintage with World War II, ie major events. Therefore my logic states the classic era must end with a major event. This event was caused by a minority group that had, by the early 70´s, gained enough political power to take the fun out of cars. Even though this group had nothing to do with motoring. Any more ideas yet?

To answer admins. original question. If it was made after 1973, then they should have to pay their entrance. My reasoning here is that this change took, for a long time, the fun out of motoring.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that cars that have been conceived or designed a long time ago and have changed very little in apearence should be allowed to take part. I have a 10 year old mini and a 30 year old mini, when we go to a show most people stop and have a really good look at them. This is because even the newest minis remind them of their minis in years gone by.

I think that some modern cars that are modern in design are wrong to be included in classic shows though.

Also if you say classic car shows, does that mean that "vintage" or "veteran" cars should not be included as they come under a different heading just like "modern" cars?

Last edited by buzzy bee on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buzzy, welcome to the forum! why not start a topic and tell us all a bit about yourself, carwise?

Every rule has its exception, and in this case, the Mini is the exception - as long as it is not one of the BMW ones!

You brought up a good point about veteran and vintage cars. Personally, I am not sure if they should be included or not. I suppose a lot depends on public demand. Do they want to see them?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like Vintage and Veteran vehicles at shows as I like them, but was just making a constructive coment.

Wonder what other people think?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tendency here is that shows tend to be segregated.

For example , we get American cars only at some shows, and classics only at others. Offhand, I can only think of a couple of shows that mix the two! In this case, when there is an overwhelming majority of one type, the others have a tendency to disappear.

Thinking about things, I would like to see organisers have all types, but possibly in different areas, unless of course they are from say a one make club.

Any other opinions? Lets get a debate going, and maybe organisers will listen!
dpr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's shows that manage both.

Newby Hall, nothing after '72. Great Show....

Ripon, really anything from the different marques on show.

Both different both good.

As my Excel SA is only 18 it would be excluded from the first lets consider is it a classic.

The last front engined Lotus, the last (and very few of) fitted with an auto box. The last 2+2

OK you get the idea.

I'd say if it has a place from Classic (not age) value then show them.

However, I don't like to see a Lotus stand with only Elises/Exiges on at any show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: