classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
PACresta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Dave

Re the string idea

On both vehicles I have done this was the method:

Fit the rubber to the screen.
Measure and carefully mark the centre line.
Put the cord into the channel on the rubber where the body flange is going to go. The cord goes right round and should be knotted tightly with at least a foot of "ends" hanging out.
I use fairy liquid, but rubber grease would lubricate just as well. Put liberal quantities in the channel with the cord.
Place the screen over the hole.
With a helper on the outside to position and push the glass towards the hole, as you pull the cord out it will lift the "inside" flange of the rubber over the body flange.
Continue all round, going slowly at the corners, until the inner flange is totally inside the body work.

Talking to a couple of friends it seems to depend on the type of the rubber, and on some cars you fit the rubber to the body first and have the cord in the channel where the glass will go and work from the outside.

Then comes the harder bit on some cars - refitting any chrome trim without damaging it by bending or flattening.

This advice is given without any guarantees - so no claims if you break the screen!

Sounds good to me Brian, thanks for the tip. I understand that on my PA i need to fit rubber to glass then i need to fit trim before fitting screen to body. I am off to B&Q tonight for some strong cord.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: