classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Storage Facilities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Storage Facilities Reply with quote

I have suffered over the last few years through lack of storage, and there seems to be a lack of affordable storage facilities for classic car enthusiasts, certainly in Cheshire and surrounding area. Got me thinking maybe I should acquire somewhere and then rent space out to other enthusiasts.
Wondered what other people's views were and /or if you are aware of any suitable facility I could buy or rent.

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have often thought about this, but now have a garage and space to park. There was a hanger for sale at Tilstock, but that may be a little large!!

I think there is definateley a lack of undercover storage partly because farms are turning into housing estates!! Land is so dear, even agricultural land, I know a few friends have now moved there collection abroad to reduce storage costs!!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can pick and choose a bit as to who rents units, or space in a large building, I think it could work, so long as a good contract is used from the start, spelling out who pays for what, when, and what happens if they don't cough up their rent. It could be a minefield, with some people pulling their weight and others taking the mickey, but if managed right could end up being useful, if storage is an issue.

If you're charging out storage space, then I guess the taxman might be interested?? depends on what scale and how low-key things are I guess.

Over the years I've rented storage for vehicles but it can be a nuisance, especially if they are stored a long way from home, or if there is no electricity in the building with which to work on a car. Or would your idea be just for storage, not for working on cars too? If there was electicity, a way of divvying up the cost would need to be included in the fee.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a restoration club up here in the north east. I can't remember details off hand but it's in washington tyne and wear. They meet as a club once a month but I think ( at least I would hope so) cars can be worked on at other times.

For me to rent space I'd want electricity with my own meter and a way of isolating the sockets so only I could use and pay for "MY" supply. I'd want 24 hour access and it would also need to be secure.

Other things that would attract me to rent would be (in no particular order) The possible use of some sort of industrial compressor and tools so that it could be an alternative to using electric tools etc. good lighting and possibly some sort of heating. Easy in easy out contracts are esential, with one months rent up front. also a very small print clause that if they don't pay the bugatti they are working on is forfittedmight be cool.

Also the big things you would need in making a restoration easier such as a car turning jig, a welder, ramps, car hoist and engine hoists. Possibly a paint booth would attract a lot more people and also a place to chill out and have a brew and something to eat. I would think that you would need each space to be at least 25 ft long by 18 ft wide or 450sq ft in order to get the car moveable and place to store bits and maybe a workbench etc.

You could also look to becoming a franchise holder of SPL,lol.

I'm currently renting a 260sq ft workshop which is about 12 ft wide and 13 ft long for £175 a month with all electric cost thrown in but that's for my candlemaking biz and no "dirty" businesses are allowed. As such I couldn't get my jag in as I think it's nearly 16 ft long.....

Another bitof info on the pricing from in hartlepool is based on £100 a week rent. If you want high security, good facilities and centre of town you get a shop of about 30sq ft or if you take a risk and go to scroat land, not bothered about dodgy people and no passing traffic you can get 2500sq ft for £100 a week.

Something like that would give you 4 possibly 5 rentable units ( painted lines on the floor etc and the base rent would be £100 a month. electric, rates etc on top and then your tools etc would soon wrack up the costs but if you had willing partners lined up...

Anyway, hope that missive helps although it's based in hartlepool etc the ideas will be the same.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If I was doing it I would just offer storage, I think a place to work could get very complicated and expensive!

What would you have to do insurance wise!

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably take out building insurance in case of storm or flood etc but all the rest is up to the individual. Speaking of insurance have a look at RAC.com

I saw their trailer with that big black boxing dude and the beetle so went on to their site.

For me to innsure the mini ( it's a 1275) with my 17 yr old son as a named driver with 5 years no claims came back as a tad under £550. Normal quotes have been stupid city like the cheapest being £1500 +.

So I phoned them up to see what i'd done wrong and the lad said nothing. We checked everything and double checked it.

I then said I had built up the NCD on the omega and could i use it on there as well when I renew in April.
He then said no but also said why not transfer the NCD to the mini and start again on the miggy. Right ho I said, a 2.6 V6 rocket ship with no NCB......me and my wife ....£530.00 Fully comp.

Both cars insured for about £1k and the bairn, who has had a provisional licence for 6 months gets to drive.

If anyone knows better let me know....
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would you not need some kind of public liability insurance with having people coming and going, on your property?

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably to be on the safe side.

Gawd aren't we a litegeous society now a days....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had someone get in touch yesterday asking if I knew of any storage space in the Chester/Flint area for his Green Goddess, so there's obviously demand out there, mainly I think for the big stuff, which is being squeezed out of farm buildings thanks to redevelopment of same

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I believ that until 2011 no new barn conversion plans can go through in the North west, not sure what difference a few years will make, but it is a start. I supose most barns have gone now anyhow!

I have a feeling there is storage facilities for big stuff nearby rick, I can try and find details if you want? Not sure if it is inside or out, good or bad though!?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by buzzy bee on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah would be interested to hear about it, and I can pass the info on.

There's an empty yard not far from here thats up for rent, and would make for decent (outdoor sadly) storage, but the £££ was significant to say the least Confused

R
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will try to find out for you, may take me a few days though, I will email you the answer soon.

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: