classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

ANY LONG SUFFERING OTHER-HALVES OUT THERE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
erindoors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: ANY LONG SUFFERING OTHER-HALVES OUT THERE? Reply with quote

I though I’d start a thread about the long suffering other-halves out there.

- Do you have any interesting stories to tell about your other-halves restoration projects?

- Do you help/contribute towards any of the restoration projects or just watch from the kitchen window?

- Would you like to get involved but he won’t let you?

- Are there any times where you wish he was a stamp collector instead?

- Has your garden been taken over by rusty old wrecks?

Lets have your stories/comments here, this is where you can come and have a good old rant about it……

I can start with my story, my other-half (Mr Erindoors) has been tinkering with cars since he was a teenager. I’ve learnt by now that cars come first, then the dog, then me Rolling Eyes . I guess that’s something I have learnt to live with. Sad

If its not cars, its trucks, caravans or even trailers!!! How can one get excited about trailers???? Shocked

I try to be accommodating even when the entire garden has now been converted into garages/sheds.

I try not to encourage him to buy any more by showing my disapproval face Evil or Very Mad , (I had a fey years of practice now) but I did help with cleaning the chassy of one of his utes the other day… Wink

Over to you now….

Back to scrubbing pans now….

Erindoors
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just want to add why I haven't been activley looking for a girlfriend, am affraid of the lectures I will get, my sister is bad enough!! My mum likes the old stuff, and my dad has given up! He just looks, shakes his head and walks off! Laughing

My gran hits the nail on the head, she says "I have got some strange family", I think that is a compliment, strange is good! Confused

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, my niece is free....

UJ (Soon to be in trouble if she sees this!)
giggles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a long suffering wife!

We bought our '53 Hawk in 1996 and he promised me it would ready for our wedding in 1998. We've been married for 8 years now and it's still not on the road! OK, it was a bigger project than he at first thought and his plans for the Hawk have changed slightly since he bought it.

If it's not cars, it's bikes, or fire engines or trucks. Well just about anything as long as it has wheels. Life was fine until we got the internet and now spends most of his time looking at Ebay or searching Google for the cars of his dreams.

He promised not to let the cars invade the garden, I think it was the thought of the kids playing football near them or using them as a climbing that has put him off trying to park any cars in the garden.

We did have a fire engine once........ but it was sold to pay for a fridge-freezer when we bought a house together. Wink
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

HA haha

You are going to be in some serious trouble!

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs - Nail replies:

before meeting Pete I had never attended a classic car show, but I was soon taken along and I did actually enjoy looking at all those shiny old cars, even better are the summer days out at Tatton park and the like.

I have also been introduced to a number of unusual 'rituals' that are apparently known to other old vehicle nuts but seem quite strange to me.

The one that causes me the most concern is the apparent inability to refuse any bit of old junk offered to him, this can range anywhere between a petrol pump for some obsolete pre-war car he will never own to a complete vehicle in a dire state of repair.

Last year we moved house to a lovely dorma bungalow in a quiet semi-rural area, how wonderful it would be to live here thought I when first viewing the property.
I saw the neat lawns and lovely patio area and pictured lunch or dinner outside in the summer. The house has a large driveway, a garage, and although a bungalow the attic space is ideal for storing household stuff - or...er... old motor magazines as it turns out.... around two thousand of them! (and rising!)

The large driveway I now know actually holds precisely five cars, I 'know' this because that's how many are currently sitting on it!
The patio area catches the evening sun and is a fantastic place to sit drinking a nice cool beer on at the end of a long summers day, and as soon as old car number six is removed from the patio area I shall tell you how good that feels! Crying or Very sad

Watching through the kitchen window tells me that there are still more rituals that I have yet to understand but I have never plucked up the courage to ask, the first appears to be the necessity to talk to the various mechanical components in order to ensure their co-operation, followed by a loud cry of " Oh!...You - BA****D!" when said object fails to comply. Embarassed

Then there is the oft repeated ritual of T-cutting a panel then stepping back to admire his handy-work only to kick over the bottle of T-cut, the strange thing about this ritual is that having scraped up the spilled liquid and put the bottle elsewhere within minutes he is sure to do it again!

There is a variation on this which involves something called solvol autosol which looks to me very much like a tube of toothpaste, it goes polish - rub - step back- and it's... " Oh!...You - BA****D!" again. Rolling Eyes

When you add to this the fact that my little Peugot can't be garaged at night because the garage is full of Motorbikes, and strange panels, and car parts, (there's even a complete engine in there lord knows what it's off) and my bathroom sink is left full of swarfega marks on a daily basis it could be said that being the 'other half' of a classic enthusiast isn't easy, but then measure that against the wonderful days out in summer, and the many many new people we have met and friends that we have made and I suppose it's not such a bad trade off after all.
giggles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
UJ

HA haha

You are going to be in some serious trouble!

Cheers

Dave

Good point! I shall no doubt have to clean the chrome to make up for what I wrote. lol Laughing
giggles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
Mrs - Nail replies:

The large driveway I now know actually holds precisely five cars, I 'know' this because that's how many are currently sitting on it!
The patio area catches the evening sun and is a fantastic place to sit drinking a nice cool beer on at the end of a long summers day, and as soon as old car number six is removed from the patio area I shall tell you how good that feels! Crying or Very sad

I think we all know that one! The reason we bought the house we are in is because he thought we'd be able to a get a few cars next to the house. Trouble is just becasue we've got this large driveway/ bit a land doesn't mean you have to have enough cars/ caravans to fill it. Rolling Eyes
gillberry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My turn

at the moment in the front garden the order is Rover SD1, Rover SD1, body shell, Humber Sceptre, cheltenham Caravan, next row, Astra Estate, Granada Estate on the grass Rover SD1 next up the side of the house Humber Sceptre, in the garage Vauxhall Viva HA in dads front garden Granada Ghia, one garage (with viva in) & spares, one green house with spares, one garage made into a shed with spares & two new sheds up the top of the garden with spares

need i say any more Rolling Eyes

he has worked out that the front garden holds 9, 3 up the side of the house & 1 outside the back door we have 253 ft of garden back to front but luckly 40ft at the back of the house is paving & shingle with a little wall & a gap which you can not get a car through but he has worked out that if anything happens to the neighbours (who are saints to put up with us but it helps that he cuts their grass and i take her shopping)we could get access as the side drive which is not wide enough to get out of the car till you get to the back door

now for the but the Astra, 2 Humbers, HA & caravan are mine if you cant beat them join them:wink:

the problem we are going to have is we are members of the Humber, SD1, Viva, Norwich Classic car club & the Cheltenham caravan so which one comes first if they clash Confused
kaybee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the plan , make your rusty sh...sh..stuff, part of the garden,

It's an old Diamond T truck we rescued , a little too far gone but makes a great garden feature Very Happy. On the other side we have,

Ford's finest piece of ballast, a flathead V8, and a couple of other bits'n'pieces more visible from the front, cheers, Col.
kaybee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could build her a couple of cars of her own,

an' a couple of caravans too Shocked
giggles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very yummy! Very Happy Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kaybee

What do you neighbours think of your garden ornaments/features?

I like the truck/caravan combo, very nice! Have you got any side on pics?

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the Diamond T front end is great, I often thought that a rotten Austin A35 van, buried at the bottom of the garden, would make a good log store. Your photo has got me thinking now Very Happy

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kaybee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side pic for Dave,

now back to the subject.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: