classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Softening rubber - what works?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Softening rubber - what works? Reply with quote

The window rubber on my Austin Somerset especially round the quarter-lights has gone rock hard with age.

Is there a method of softening it up again?

Anything I can apply to it to help it out?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure if this would work, but Red rubber grease is used to help prevent it perishing, not sure if it would soften it though!

Cheers

Dave
kaybee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi O/N, years ago we used Medicinal Glycerin to soften the Q/vent rubbers on our '41 Willys, and it worked a treat. It's clear and is just applied with a brush, it took a few applications over a couple of weeks. Available at Chemists here, should be the same there. Another handy thing from the chemist is Milk of Magnesia, particularly good at preventing corrosion on cyl. head studs and bolts on Aluminium heads, just paint it on when assembling the studs. Cheers, Col.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kaybee I'll give it a try.

I've enquired about some bits of rubber from Scotts down your way but I don't think they do the quarter light rubbers I'm needing.
kaybee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi O/N, no, I don't know of any supply of Somerset Q/V rubbers either, I did a resto on one a few years ago, and had to resort to s/hand items and the Glycerin treatment, cheers, Col.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: