classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

money vs morality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah I love that too, and the great biker build off!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What channels are they shown on in the UK?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I used to see them on men and motors when you could get it on free view and then on sky at my mums house, but haven't seen any for ages!

Cheers

Dave

P.S... "The Garage", the one in spain I think, is quite good, where he looks after all of the ex pats motors, worth watching just to laugh at the banter in the garage!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, did you see the biker build off a while ago with the australian guy?

He was brilliant at forming metal, no filler, nothing, but perfectly formed pieces.

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I can't rmember him, will have to see if you can get them on DVD, I remember seeing a blacksmith building a bike, not sure which program it was, they have a set time to build it in and if the complete, they get to keep the bike. He formed the handle bars by heating bar and twisting it, snapped a snap on vise so ended up heating it and bashing it on the ground! Can't remember if he completed his or not!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, the name of the australian was Scotty Cox.

Check out the bike he built, without filler (bondo) on:

http://www.scottys-choppers.com.au/bikes/discovery/index.html

Absolutely fantastic. The mans a genius with metal!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I never saw that one, but wish I had, amazing! I was on the phone as I looked and completely ignored the friend on the phone, as it was so stunning!

He he

Cheers for the link

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is, it didnt win....no taste some people.

Buzzy, I'm wondering if the blacksmith you mentioned was Indian Larry, the guy who made his frame from chain?

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah that rings a bell!

Will have to research that name!

Cheers

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being American, i shudder to think you have to watch our cranky overpaid and overrated "experts" as they week after week crank out more over-the-top exercises in automotive excess. i APOLOGIZE for them. first off, if i were Coddington, i'd sack the whole crew. too much arguing and infighting to be getting PAID for. when he was younger and worked on his own cars, he had some validity but he's only the cashbox now. and back to the topic: i've turned down offers for a couple of my cars, but never twice retail ...
old gto

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cranky overpaid and overrated "experts"
Definition of "expert".....
"ex" is an unknown, and a "spert" is a drip under pressure!
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of which... when i bought my mk1 cortina 1300 (?) 2dr saloon i paid $250us for it and sold it on for maybe $500us. it had capri disc brakes and a set of rostyle wheels on it, autobox and little else. what would my little Corty be worth today? (when i bought it i had evil plans to build a faux-Lotus...)
old gto

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself could not begin to guess what it would be worth here in the US, but I can tell you there are clubs with collectors and lovers of just about everything, and if you have thoughts of selling it, you should seek them out.
A friend of mine has over a DOZEN Gogo-mobiles, and a couple Isettas. He started a club of micro car owners. A bumper sticker he had made for one of them....

"Anything over 13 horsepower is over-kill!"
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't it strange that we (yanks) are obsessed with HP to the expense of everything else? oddly enough, my old Benz diesel was rated at only 65bhp IIRC. and it was a highline 280 series turbo! my beloved Falcons are nominally rated between 85 and 90 hp; and they move pretty well. of course, they weren't pulling 150ampere alternators (dynamos?) to power all the electric foofrah and doodads on todays' cars...
goldeneye

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: money vs morality Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
A recent topic regarding those that customise or badly restore old vehicles lead me to thinking about a moral dilemma and how each of us would react to it.

For those that didn't read that particular thread the jist of it was: How should a car be restored? to original spec or otherwise?

The thread ended with my rather unhappy conclusion that in the world we live in so long as you have the money you can make whatever mods you like to your cars even if they are considered outrageous vandalism by others.

Now to my moral dilemma:-

If you were the owner of an immaculate and original classic car worth say £6000, and the local wealthy oik that has just won the lottery offered you £12000 cash for it so he could go banger racing in it do you...

A: Sell and try not to think about it.

B: Refuse and try not to think about it Confused

C: Try to talk him out of banger racing!

So here it is, there's a knock at your door, he's standing there with a big floppy wad of cash that would fix that leak in the roof and more.... what do YOU do! Shocked

Good question. Personally if the car meant enough to me I wouldn't sell at all, but if I could use the money to get the car of my dreams I'd take the cash. Of course I'd try and persuade them not to go banger racing but it's their choice really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: