classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Silicon Brake Fluid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
PACresta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Silicon Brake Fluid Reply with quote

Appologies if this has been asked before Rolling Eyes What are your thoughts / experiences regarding using silicon brake fluid in our classic cars?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simple - Dont!

Early silicone brake fluid used to destroy seals. Though I believe that this is not the case with the latest ones, I wouldnt take the chance, especially with NOS parts.

UJ
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree UJ, I won't touch the stuff!
Quendil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on my cars with no problem, I however always rebuild the brake parts with new rubbers. I find it give a slight improvement in braking and keeps better when in storage.

Cheers
Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us that were around cars in the period of PA's Cresta will be able to say that at that time, there were two braking systems, Lockheed and Girling. Putting the brake fluid from one system into the other system would be enough to destroy seals....

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: