classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cars in films
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my faves, in no particular order:

'High School Confidential'
'Hot Rod'
'The Driver'
'Vanishing Point'
'Two Lane Blacktop'
'American Graffiti'
'The California Kid'
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks XL91. Just spotted my Austin 10/4 on the Fred Dibnah 'Steam Up' extract. you can even see the memsahib and myself. I believe it was taken sometime in th mid-90s at the 'Great Dorset Steam Fair'
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our cable company ran the film "Genevieve" last night; i had seen many posts regarding it and eagerly watched it. it was a typical early '60's sort of film, very funny and i enjoyed the rivalry between the Darracq and the Spyker owners. the motorcycle cops were the ultimate in polite irritation; i couldn't imagine them being so tolerant in todays' climate!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Genevive was made in around 1953, which accounts for the empty traffic free streets in most shots.

What a contrast to today!
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the closing shot of the Darracq on the westminster bridge tells the story! almost no traffic at all! much gentler time... my dad tells me that when were just a nobbit there was little to no traffic on the main highway in front of his grandfather's house... which is now 6 lanes wide and suicide to cross on foot!
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were very few cars, even in Streatham High Rd, were I grew up in the 40s and 50s. Small boys, myself included, used to collect car registration numbers in the same way that they collected railway engine numbers.
Oddly enough the busiest times on Streatham High Rd road were when the veteran run restarted after the war, from London to Brighton.

I used to watch it from my bedroom window and it was known as "the old crocks race" why do I find that title slightly offensive now?

Don.
62rebel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"old crocks race"? offensive? i couldn't imagine why.....LOL! i was old even when i was a kid! never was one for "modern" cars, always following my dad around looking for Ford "A" parts. we only ever had two actual brand-new cars; one a Ford Pinto in 1973 and the other a TR7 in 1979. everything else has been between 1951 and 1990..... presently, the newest car we own is a 1980 Mustang. watched two old film noir classics last night, both Edmond O'Brien films, and there were plenty of scenes with 30's, 40's, and 1950 cars. amazing how a daylight scene of San Francisco showed a quiet street with no traffic.... but at night! the cars filled the street.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: