classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old things that still work well
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Old things that still work well Reply with quote

On Breakfast TV news yesterday they did a feature about old things that work long after they were expected to break down. They showed a lady with a Morphy Richards hairdryer that she bought in the late 50s/early 60s, and that still worked aok. I can't see many new dryers (not that I need one!!) lasting more than 3 or 4 years before being consigned to the bin.

Anyone else got examples of old things (not just cars!) that are still doing sterling service after many many years?? that were built in the days when things were supposed to last

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not really on the same scale but this came into conversation the other day, that my Dadant and son smoker, (beekeeping) is about 30 odd years old I would have thought, came all the way from illinois to a friend then he passed it to me. It is still going strong, but one I bought over here about 2 or 3 years ago, that cost about £40, has just broken, needing repair. This was because they have used a plastic leather, or it may be a poor quality leather, (it doesn't feel natural!) instead of good quality stuff.

Cheers

Dave
old gto

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, YES Rick! The wife & I are collectors of all types of vintage & antique things, but one of my favorites is a 1932 GE "monitor top" refrigerator. We had it re-wired when we first got it, and it ran for 2 years....and got much colder than the newer one in the kitchen!
It was damaged (puncture wound while defrosting with a pick), and was taken to a shop in Georgia that repairs antique appliances.
They couldn`t fix it, but they DID find another top to put on it, and it is again working great!
We also have a 1959 Coca-Cola machine that keeps beer icy cold!
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
I have a collection of about 50 old camera's (1900-1960 ish) most of which still work, although geting film for them may be a problem in the future, I already have to use 120 film in Camera's designed for 620. Some of the newer older ones are 35mm ,which the film I hope will still be around for a while,other wise I will have to buy a bulk load and freeze it !!!

Dave
goldeneye

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a telly in our backroom that is about 30 years old, still works perfectly fine with a good picture. We must've had a few TV's in the frontroom the last 3-4 years, a couple of which broke after 12-18 months and had to be replaced
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first got married we moved out of the city to a rural community, but I still worked as a fireman in Glasgow.

One of our first purchases as newly-weds was a small Bush portable VHF radio that could be tuned onto the emergency services radio frequencies (these were the days when the fire brigade, police and ambulance services still used VHF), where the other half would switch it on about half an hour before the end of my shift to hear if we were turned out to a fire, that way she could gauge when I would be coming home for my evening meal.

If she heard "Alpha 31 mobile to fire at "123 High St"" she knew I was going to be late, and when she heard "Alpha 31 returned to home station" she knew to put the potatoes on! Very Happy

Still got that little radio in the bathroom and its been used every morning for the last 31 years - couldn't imagine how many SP2 batteries we've used though, enough to keep that d**n Duracell bunny in luxury I reckon!
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old gto wrote:
It was damaged (puncture wound while defrosting with a pick), and was taken to a shop in Georgia that repairs antique appliances.

I bet the ammonia made your eyes water! Shocked
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a splendid old GEC fan from the 30s or earlier. It works better than some of the new ones and looks great but is a safety officers nightmare.
The guarding is minimal and my fingers bear the scars to prove it, I doubt if it would pass an insulation test either.
But never mind, it makes me feel good to use it on the garage.
old gto

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
I bet the ammonia made your eyes water! Shocked

You know it! It ran us out onto the front porch for 3 hours! When it punctured, I had to draw a breath...run in, open a window, run back out. Draw a breath, run in, plug in a fan, run back out. Draw a breath, run in, open the back door, run back out...etc.etc.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Laughing

Sounds a comical situation to look back on, maybe not so funny at the time though, for you at least!

Cheers

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's amazing to me why people replace functioning apparatus simply due to age or appearance. which is why i drive cars as old or older than myself!
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the irony of replacing stuff like telly’s (and cars for that matter), due to age or appearance, is that today they are far more reliable than they were 20, 30, 40 years ago! .

Although I have to confess I do it myself these days!

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a collection of "junk" (my wifes words) some years ago and there were several trembler coils in various states of decay except for this one.
I tried it on a 6v battery and received a greivous electric shock... After the best part of 100 years it could still produce a spark.
I have promised it to a guy with a 'London/Brighton' veteran and the thought that it may be returned to 'active service' after so many years really pleases me.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/donthebat/Tremblercoil.jpg
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, your mention of a Dadant bee smoker brought back memories of moving my father's beehives in 1975. we had been living at my greatgrandfather's farm in Virginia, and my parents purchased a small orchard (peaches, apples, and cherries) in the country. we moved bag and baggage entirely with my parents' Ford Pinto coupe, and early one Saturday, my dad took me to get the beehives... he kept bees for my greatgrandfather and was told he could take them to the orchard. so, once there, he lit the smoker and proceeded to calm the bees down. after several minutes, he was able to tack pieces of screening over the entrance to the hive, and close off any "back doors" that existed. then he stacked the two hives in the front passenger seat of the Pinto... i sat behind, steadying them, for the twelve mile trip to the orchard. the bees were quickly coming around and quite agitated at being moved, but luckily dad had sealed them in quite effectively! we removed the hives from the car, set them up, and waited until WELL after dark to open the entrances. an accident while transporting those bees would have been unthinkable...
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have transported many bees in a similar style! The ford pickup when done will pay for it's self! We have had few escapees during transport, but the first time I transported them, I wore my suit, whilst holding on to the hive, you should have seen passers by, seeing two fellas in what looked like space suits driving during the late evening/night!
Rolling Eyes

Do you still have bees?

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: