classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Earth Clamps on mig welders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Earth Clamps on mig welders Reply with quote

I was having difficulty achieving a consistent weld (mig) the other day, the problem was the earth clamp. It struck me that relying on a large crocodile clip (which has minimal surface contact area) to provide a consistent electrical connection (even with all the metal cleaned up) with the high currents required for mig welding will never give you a constant connection and consequently difficult to achieve good consistent welds.

Why do most manufacturers supply these cheap crocodile clips even on more expensive machines? when you can get for about £8 a decent brass screw type clamp.

I welded a temporary stud to the car and put an eye on the earth lead , then bolted the earth lead on, what a difference Smile ,its a bit of a pain to do but if you had a load of welding to do on a car well worth the effort. I have just ordered on of the brass clamps, so I'llsee how I get on with that.

Dave

Last edited by UKdave2002 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local motorfactors sell a crocodile type clamp...but it has a large flat area on the "biting"surface...costs about £8 each but worth it!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The earth is the most important bit, the amount of times the earth clamp has welded it's self to my work!

I think that the large metal clips are best, the ones you need two hands to squeeze!

Cheers

Dave
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Earth Clamps on mig welders Reply with quote

UKdave2002 wrote:
I was having difficulty achieving a consistent weld (mig) the other day, the problem was the earth clamp. It struck me that relying on a large crocodile clip (which has minimal surface contact area) to provide a consistent electrical connection (even with all the metal cleaned up) with the high currents required for mig welding will never give you a constant connection and consequently difficult to achieve good consistent welds.

Why do most manufacturers supply these cheap crocodile clips even on more expensive machines? when you can get for about £8 a decent brass screw type clamp.

I welded a temporary stud to the car and put an eye on the earth lead , then bolted the earth lead on, what a difference Smile ,its a bit of a pain to do but if you had a load of welding to do on a car well worth the effort. I have just ordered on of the brass clamps, so I'llsee how I get on with that.

Dave

Dave I grind the paint,rust etc off then clamp some mole grips to the cleanrd Metal and then clamp the welding clamps to the Vice grips this should give you a perfect "Earth"!!
Roverron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had a blacksmith's shop, when arc welders became more popular he made an all-steel table to which he fixed the earth from his welder. One day a dog wandered in and cocked his leg against the table. My father wasn't a cruel man but he touched the dog on its back with the welding rod thus completing the circuit. The floor surace was quite poor and the poor dog coudn't get a grip with his paws; his legs were going really quickly but he stayed put sort of spinning his wheels.
wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novel idea...but can't help being cynical:

Clamp

wrinx

Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easily made with a speaker magnet for free, it would still need a good earth but at least you wouldnt have to look for somewhere the clamp will fit,
DA the panel to clean metal clamp it on!
I have a few old speaker magnets I use for picking up fallen bit I will give it a go

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: