classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Yazaki Speedo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Invicta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Yazaki Speedo Reply with quote

Another small (?) job on my 1975 Mitsubishi J26 "Jeep".
The speedo works, the mileometer only turns on the meters(?) section.
e.g. 208094 will go up as far as 208099 then start at 208090 again.

I would like to have a spare before taking the original out. (I am hoping it's a case of cleaning the mechanism with some WD40 then adding some 3 in 1).
Has anyone any ideas whether this make of speedo was common to a range of Japanese cars of the time?
Any comments\suggestions will be very welcome.
At least it's back on the road and the vinyl top is wind and water proof - Hurrah
Kind regards, Bernard
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernard

Glad to hear its back on the road!
Regarding you new problem, I suspect your odometer has probably got a broken gear or pin, see on the pick below there is a white pin between the 3 and 4 that turns the white nylon gear which will in turn engages with a pin on the next set of digits.
I did fix a broken pin once by , filling the break flat, drilling a small (same diameters the pin) hole and the super gluing a suitable replacement pin.

You may find the white gear is siezed up, and if all is still in tact you will normally hear a "click " as the pin flexes over the gear without turning it, normally this this results in either the pin or gear eventually snapping !

Good luck
Cheers Dave

1nvicta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The picture is very useful. Thank you for taking the trouble to post it.

I am sure your method will do the trick.
If not you have given me an idea -
I used to do a fair bit of modelling (1/8th scale Jeeps for instance), so with a bit of luck and maybe some plastic moulding I can get this sorted.

Kind regards
Bernard
Invicta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job Done!
It was the old grease which had turned into almost glue on the plastic\nylon parts.
Some WD40 then 3 in 1 and away it went.
It was not quiet the same as the picture (more drums with cogs attached) but the principle is the same.
The meter/yards cog was more worn than the others so I swapped it for the one furthest away.
Once again, thanks for the tips. They gave me the confidance to get stuck in and have a go myself. Bernard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: