classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Preserving old rubber
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: rubber Reply with quote

Hi all, I have found that bicycle tyre left over winter will perish quite quickly but those that are used over winter do not. I put this down to rubber likes to be flexed when it is cold. I use tyre wax on my Midget bumpers as I do not want to flex them.

Nic
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bloke who lives opposite me restores classic motorbikes and he says the best thing for treating rubber is baby oil, he claims it 'feeds' rubber.

anyhow I'll let you know in a few days as i need to treat some rubber on the alvis.

jason
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the best stuff to presrve the appearance of rubber, 'specially tyres, is boot polish.

Looks more natural than any tyre paint I have seen.

Love to find something that actually restores rubber though! The floor mats in my 100e are starting to fall apart which will be a pity in a low mileage car.

I am thinking of trying to remove them and then gluing on something like jute for a backing sheet. Any ideas in what sort of adhesive I could use?
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 52classic!

I reckon that's the way to go!

The shaped rubber floor mats in my 1950 A40 tourer were also coming to pieces and I had no chance of getting a new one. I grabbed a woolsack, which is made of a nylon type woven cloth. I flattened it and used it as a base for my disintergrating floor mat. I used ordinary contact adhesive to hold the mat to the base. (About three cans!) I then painted the mat surface with tyre paint.

That was well over 20 years ago and the mats are still serviceable and look presentable. Every now and again I give them a coat of tyre paint. Bear in mind that my A40 is a soft top and almost always has the hood down, thereby exposing the mat to the Aussie sun and heaps of UV. And the car gets well used!

Keith D
52classic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith, sorry about the delay in responding... kinda forgot about my post!

My biggest worry was that the glue would finish the rubber off for good but if you havent found that happening I'll give it a go.

By the way Penman. The model aeroplane thing is well remembered!

I think we used castor oil and it certainly extended the torque you could apply to a rubber band motor! But AIRC it also shortened the life of the rubber...... Not a problem for the sort of 'planes I used to build though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: