classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Iain McKenzie at Fairmile Restorations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Iain McKenzie at Fairmile Restorations Reply with quote

Last summer I went to Iain's place in Worcs to learn a few tricks at his restoration workshop. He made me some inner wings pieces to replace completely rusted away ones on my van. He showed me how it was done on a stetcher and then I made one. Terrifically satisfying.

http://www.fairmilerestorations.co.uk/

(I am the one in the salmon shirt, with less hair!)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rivet

Neat pictures, I've seen Iain's repair panels (I think it was at Tatton one year) and they look fab. Any more pics?

Rick.
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

I have one or two for my research but they would be pretty meaningless to most. But among them is this one which shows Iain holding my inner wing supports (originals were part of the cab side, so integral...not added on as mine must be).

They have to be welded to the inside of the cab and then wings are offered up to them and bolted in.

(sorry, I still don't know how to compact my pics so they don't stretch the screen)

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure similar repair sections for E83Ws would be very popular if they went into production!! I'm always being asked about screen surrounds, lower rear body repairs for the vans, front wings, and so on!

Rick
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

(I just got back from a week away)

I bought a stretcher and a shrinker from Frost. They were not cheap, but they are probably the cheapest available. You can buy the lever tool and then get the shrinker and stretcher jaws to drop in, but in my experience, when you are making a part like the ones in this thread, you need to be able to alternate the two too often for this to be practicable, so I bought two of the tools and both sets of jaws and got a reduction as it was a large order. That way I can alternate between stretcher and shrinker with ease....just by putting whichever tool in my vice (though you could have two vices too!).

Even as an amateur novice I find you can make some pretty effective parts....and I anticipate being able to make screen surrounds myself, having made a pretty decent radius repair on one screen.
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for these with proceeds from the sale of crap on ebay...which is how I have paid for all my tools so far...though even my supply of crap is finite.

The scuffing of the stickers shows where they have been put in a vice, though I ought to fix them to an angle iron which can be more easily gripped in a vice, as this method slips a bit.

iain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks! Just discovered this site! Thanks for the nice comments about the panels (and hair!)
Smile
The shrinkers look nice - always appreciative of nice new tools, mine have had a hard working life, not particularly in my hands, but a previous 'generation'...
cheers
Iain
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iain
Glad you found the site. Havey says he'll publicise it in the next club mag, which will be good because the more people here, the more sharing of knowledge....which is thin on the ground.

I see your own site is being "restored". Looking forward to seeing it in concours condition.

Peter
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaRvey, I mean!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: