classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stonham Barns - East Anglian Practical Cars August 12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Stonham Barns - East Anglian Practical Cars August 12 Reply with quote

I don't know the correct name for this show....something like The Grand Classic Vehicle show....hard to know because various references apppear in different guises and there doesn't seem to be a unique website....just references on clubs' sites saying "are you going?".

Anyway, a friend of mine put me onto it and we are going. I will be driving my 100E Prefect (white), but I am not exhibiting.

It is at the Mid Suffolk showground, Stonham Barns, near Stowmarket (A120 off A140).

10 - 5
parade at 2ish
judging afterwards
35 autojumble pitches.....they're what I'm going for
entertainment, etc

£5 adult (I think they said £3 for kids but wasn't listening)

Anyone fancy meeting up with me?
giggles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're booked in to go, but since then the engine went bang on the Humber Crying or Very sad and hubby's got to spend the weekend re-building it now we've got all the bits back.

We went last year, as we're members of the EAPC. The weather was wet but we had a great time. There was a good mix of all different types of cars. It was the first year last year and there wasn't that much autojumble.

My friend will be there with his blue Model T hot rod and another friend should be there with his 1970's Camaro.

Hope the weather stays nice for everyone going! Very Happy
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks giggles, the weather was great, on the whole, and the little spot of rain near the end didn't ruin it for me.

I will gripe though. The publicity lady who told me there were 35 autojumble pitches was talking bollocks, and though the show was supposed to last until 5, most stallholders started packing up at 3! And, as soon as the parade was over at about the same time, car exhibitors started buggering off, which struck me as a bloody cheek. People had paid good money to see those cars!
giggles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went in the daily, which was carefully hiden in the public car park. Saw loads of people we knew and spent most of our time chatting to them! Our 2 children had a wonderful time on the slide and eating ice cream. Ian Kerr did a super job as always doing the comentary and I think almost fell in love with my friends Model T hot rod! Cool

I think there was more autojumble this year compared to last year, but no way were there 35 stalls. Confused I agree with what you are saying about people leaving early, it was £5 for adults to get in and £3 for children. But if you've got a long to travel home, then we might let you off leaving early.

Anyway, here's a couple of photo's we took (didn't take many due to watching our littles on the slide. Laughing )

We fell in love with this pretty Rapier.

An amazing turn out of Humbers, including the oldest Series 1 Super Snipe known to the Humber Club! (Not this one by the way, as this is a Hawk.)

Thanks to the East Anglian Practical Classics guys and galls for a super show, we'll be there next year. Cool
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi giggles
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you couldn't come because your husband was working on the car, otherwise I'd have come over and said hi.

I agree, I really enjoyed the commentary. The guy was knowledgeable but managed to not sound like a know-all, which made for a good, friendly atmosphere. I was particularly impressed by the way he made everyone feel valued, even with the most humble cars.

As regards leaving early, it isn't like bigger shows. This is a local one run by a local club, so I don't think anyone has the excuse that they had a many-hour drive ahead of them.

I sent a postcard to the club saying I thought it was out of order stallholders and exhibitors leaving early, when we'd paid good money to see them. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.
giggles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a member of the East Anglian Practical CLassic Club? They do a nice run twice a year to Aldurgh (sorry about spelling), we've been the past few years and really enjoyed it.
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, giggles. Am not a member (probably be barred after my postcard Shocked ) but like the idea. A mate of mine, Colin Smith is, I think. He has A55s etc. Do you know him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: