classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Trimming seats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Trimming seats Reply with quote

Hi

I want to trim my seat for my ford myself, I want to have a go at it, as I have allways wanted to try doing it. Any pointers?

I want to make it comfortable with some black leather, so I don't make it visibly dirty!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a start off buzzy, if you want something easy to clean, you are better off using black vinyl, not leather!

There are such on the market today that are almost indistinguishable from leather.

Secondly, if you are going to try yourself, Mums will probably not cope! In some places you could be sweing through 4 layers....! Try to get hold of an industrial sewing machine, preferably with a walking foot.

UJ
giggles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the type of thing you thinking of? http://www.upholster.com/auto/truck.html
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed that book a while ago, and though it is OK, there is still a lot of information that is missing.

A better idea is to contact a local craftsman. I contacted a Saddlemaker, and paid him a few bob for a bit of education.

Also, contact material suppliers, its surprising how much free information can be got from catalogues.

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I know of a local trimmer, maybe I should go and see her, ask her if I can go and make my seat cover with her helping, I will still pay her a decent sum!?

Then I get the best guidance and the best machines, then the next one I do I will have an idea how!

Sound like a good idea?

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more tip.

If you are going to use the original covers as a pattern, do not remove them. Measure them up, then make the new ones. Only when the new are ready, and you are happy with them, should you remove the old.

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I wish I did have a cover, but I only have a metal frame!

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

If you only have the frame, you are facing a massive task to get the webbing\springs\clips\stuffing before you can get the cover made.

I spotted this on ebay that would look right, (perhaps with some mods to the base to get it to the right height) and would speed up getting the truck on the road.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRIS-MINOR-VAN-FRONT-SEAT_W0QQitemZ300141063799

You can then build the original seat at your leisure.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that Moggie seat looks a lot more comfy than the Ford offering!! I have an original seat in the garage which you could use as a template, but as Brian suggests I'd be inclined to find something like this MM one (or a Landy one) for the timebeing

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my first seat recover yesterday on my daily driver, and learned a lot in the process.

Unfortunately, I didnt take any photos, but I was wondering. Does anyone want me to write a longer posting abot my experience, on either this or a new topic?

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good idea, may as well add it to this thread as it is on-topic

RJ Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Ricks request:

I’ve just finished recovering the drivers seat of my daily driver. Its been done exactly to original, in a combination of leather and vinyl, and I’ve learned a lot. I’ve done everything myself at home, but I will admit to getting a lot of tips from a Saddlemaker friend. Apologies if I’ve got some of the names of things wrong, I learned this in Swedish!

The first things that I had to learn were the three basic things that are used. First, there are the two different seams. Flat Fell seam and French seam, then also how to sew a welt. Welts are difficult, because 4 or more layers of material have to be joined. This really puts it outside of the scope of home sewing machines. So the choice is either to do it by hand, or use a professional machine.

I used the latter, a 50 year old Durkopp. The big advantage with a pro machine is that its possible to use thicker threads. I used a polyester type, which came on a reel which held 2500 metres! This one also has what is known as a walking foot, and the possibility to use a welting foot also. But as I say, things can be done by hand, it just takes more time, and is harder on the fingers!

The correct material was sourced to a company in Hamburg, which meant a nice trip to Germany, and the thread from a company about 250 miles away, which meant a trip to the Post Office! The trip to Germany was needed, mainly to choose the leather. There are a lot of marks on leather, caused by things biting the cow, barbed wire and so on. So it pays to look at it, and choose carefully!

The old original covers were used as a pattern, and also to tell me which seams to use. Where possible, I made panels in one piece, but otherwise, they had to be joined. All the panels were cut larger, by about an inch, but really, this was too much. Half of that would have been enough. As I was going along, I padded the panels using jute felt pieces to get the shape, backed up by a heavy cotton material.

When I was happy with the almost completed cover, I then removed the old one from the seat, and took the metalwork from it. This was sewn onto the new cover. With the seat on the bench, I took the opportunity to fill the old saggy foam with new. Using an electric carving knife, I cut the pieces, and feathered (tapered) the edges, then glued then into place.

The next problem to solve was fitting the new seat cover. The foam gripped the cotton backing quite a lot. I was given the tip of using a bin bag, and this worked a treat, until I decided to remove it!

I dont think that theres any point of posting a photo of the seat, but if anyone asks, I will!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: