classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Using a classic for evryday use
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you use your classic as an everyday car?
Yes its my main car I use it all the time
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
I use it occasionally in place of my modern
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
My classic is a week end and evenings car
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
My classic is too good and only gets towed to shows
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I wish it was one of the above, but mine is in bits in the garage !
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Using a classic for evryday use Reply with quote

My office is about 50 miles away in Manchester, I use a modern car most of the time, but today as the sun was out I decided to drop the roof on the Stag and use it, I have done this a few times.

Its such a nice car to drive, more than capable of keeping up with modern traffic (I suppose it is modern what compared to rdover's Alldays & Onions Very Happy )

I had a thought; I could ditch my modern and use the Stag all the time! Bit of a day dream as this is a nice September day! I do 30,000 miles a year so probably not a practical thought.

Anyway got me thinking, how do we use our cars? so thought we coul have a poll;
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a classic as my everyday driver, but of late I've resorted to having a modern(ish) around, just for the occasional longer trip. I do however detest nearly all modern cars, and if I stumbled across a nice classic estate (I need the carrying capability!) I'd be verrry tempted to ditch the modern altogether. An Amazon, or better a Humber Hawk estate would fit the bill rather well Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my truck is finished, I intend to be out in it at every available opportunity.
The only problem is, they will only insure me for a maximum of 7000 miles per year.
Never thought I'd be winding my own clock back!! Laughing
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well my mini is my everyday car. Hopefully when the Ford is done, I will use this as much as posible.

I say use the classic as much as you can, I am sure some people back in the day used to do high millage too. The one thing that gets me down is when a classic leaks when it rains, so I would have to have a water tight classic to use.

Cheers

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be lovely to use a classic all the time, the memsahib used the 10/4 as a shopping car for about 15 years without ever breaking down. But as one gets older the lack of power steering etc starts to bring on the old 'aches and pains'.
I know that they managed in the past, but driving and parking is a little more difficult now.
I do use the Sprite a great deal and pride myself on being able skip in-and-out of it almost like a 20 year-old; but that situation will not last and I am starting to find it a bit difficult with the hood up, or hardtop on.
You younger people: make the most of it while you can.

Don.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, I agree, cars with leaky windscreens and damp floors are not much fun in in wet weather (ie most days). Er indoors well remembers being a passenger in one of my Amazons which had a leaky screen. Rather than manifest itself with a pool of water on the floormat in the morning, the results of the leak would wait until I turned a right hand bend before depositing a slug of water on her lap Smile

Saying that, her MX5s both leaked in water so its not just an old-car problem!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to use mine as a weekend or evening car, its a stipulation of the insurance that it cannot be used as a daily driver.

Mileage is limited also.

UJ
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
I have to use mine as a weekend or evening car, its a stipulation of the insurance that it cannot be used as a daily driver.

Mileage is limited also.

UJ

One wonders how long it will be before similar rules apply in the UK, at the moment, although my policy restricts the mileage ( it's a b****r driving with the speedo disconnected) Only Joking!! I have fully comprehensive and breakdown cover for the UK and Europe, all for less than 50 quid.

Don.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How about having 2 speedos and doing a weekly swap over. Rolling Eyes Idea Rolling Eyes Idea
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bin there, dun that. One might have to make sure that the right one was in at MOT time, these days. Confused

Don.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need another category:

I use it most of the time and only use my modern occasionally!

The Amazon is used 5 days out of 7, and does more miles per year than the modern!

My OH won't travel in the Amazon so if I take her to work we use the modern, also my rear seats are no good for adults so if taking two passengers I am forced into the modern.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Why will your OH, not travel in the oldy?

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After finally having broken the speedo in my 300, I'm going to have a lot of fun soon when I put the replacement in.....theres 50 0000 more miles showing on the new one! Which means notifying the insurance, who probably wont believe me anyway......

UJ
alapimba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use my fiat 600D from 1970 daily and it's my only car (well now i have a opel from 59 in work)

last year i did 15000km and i did a trip from lisbon to madrid on this 767cc car Wink
No problems at all.

Use yours classics if you can!

UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the reverse problem to Brian, my OH loves driving the Stag and has mastered the roof, often get home from work, she is out, so is the Stag!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: