classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

windshield rubbers
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
alapimba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: windshield rubbers Reply with quote

Hello
I have a car with panoramic windows and i need to replace the rubbers.
My question is... if i take a bit of the current rubber to make a reproduction, they will give me the rubber in one piece, i'll then be able to place it with a window with so much corners? it will seal properly?
Or it's better to buy a car from a junk yard that has "good" rubbers, they to take the windows without damage the rubbers and re-use it?

Thanks your opinion?
the kind of windows i'm talking about is this:
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stripped the truck down, the old rubbers looked too bulky for the area of glass, so I managed to source new, slimmer rubbers from a place not far from my home town.
As you can see, they look great & even come complete with a choice of black or chrome insert. I chose black.

alapimba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah looks good but and if i can't find new rubbers? Very Happy
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is that the Opel Kaptian? Would love to see more photo's of engine, interior, rear of car etc. The screen looks very simular to a Vauxhall PA Cresta? There is a company in Australia that make new rubbers for the Cresta, they may be able to help?
http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/Classic%20Repro-%20Homepage.htm

They are very protective of their agents (which is good) so they may put you in touch with a more local agent to you. Hope this helps.
alapimba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI
it's a opel rekord olympia p1, from 1959.
Mine is not this one. mine is blue. theres a topic on the forum with pictures for my car. Just take a look.http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3448

I'll contact that company. thanks for the link.

Best regards
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice motor you have there, looks liked you posted whilst i was away on hols, missed your post Smile Anyways welcome aboard and hope you get sorted.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Was that the OPEL version of the FA victor or the PA Velox/Cresta?
PACresta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Penman, i know the Kapitan was Opels version of the PA Cresta, i wonder if the Olympia was the Victor equivalent?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windscreen rubbers for this car seem to be available from various sources on the internet, so I dont really see any problems there.

PA, not wishing to doubt your knowledge, but are you sure it was the Kapitan and not the Rekord or Admiral that were Opels equivalent of the Cresta?

UJ
alapimba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
The windscreen rubbers for this car seem to be available from various sources on the internet, so I dont really see any problems there.

PA, not wishing to doubt your knowledge, but are you sure it was the Kapitan and not the Rekord or Admiral that were Opels equivalent of the Cresta?

UJ

Can you name a few of that sources please?
Indeed the windscreen on the opel p1 and vauxhall f victor seems very similar. and makes sense be the same... but... Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Google 'opel oldtimer teile' you'll hit a few......just hope you can read german!

UJ
PACresta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ, the comparison of the Cresta and Kapitan have been made on numerous occasions. I found a bit on the web as follows:

In 1950, Vauxhall launches its first models of post-war period: Velox and Wyvern. These models took as a starting point the the line of the Chevrolet left in 1948. Cresta which succeeds to them in 1954, will be replaced in 1957, 1962 and 1965. Velox, Wyvern and Cresta will be produced with 400 000 specimens of 1950 to 1971, including a more luxurious version called Viscount presented in 1965. Cresta and Viscount, which could be compared with Opel Kapitan, Admiral, Diplomat, will not be replaced. In 1957, the British subsidiary company of group GM widens its range to the bottom, by proposing the Victor, conveys average, who could be compared with Opel Rekord. This model will be replaced in 1961, 1964, 1967 and 1972, adopting a cycle of life very close to Opel, even of the American marks of group GM.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is drifting off subject, but the way I was reasoning is this.

In the 60's, most of the car manufacturers had three classes of cars, shalll we call them small, medium, large. eg Ford had Anglia / Cortina / Zephyr. BMC Minor 1000 / Cambridge / Westminster.

Vauxhall had Viva / Victor / Cresta.

What were Opels equivalents? Thats the reason I asked.

I did surf later, and found out that you were correct though PA, but still cant get things clear in my old brain..... Shocked

UJ
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Was it Kadet, Rekord, Kapitan?
The Kadet was definitely Viva sized but didn't seem to share the Viva HA body.
PACresta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i know what you mean UJ, without seeing one in the flesh its difficult to tell what size the car is. It was something i came across a while ago on the web about the Kapitan. Just found these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFelCaVW1ZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtHzpyEfaM8&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHILnsdIdk4&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OAoaGblDR4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rvgJRicGg&mode=related&search=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: