classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chrysler Wimbledon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Chrysler Wimbledon Reply with quote

Señores,
One of our local Club members has just purchased a 1939 Chrysler Wimbledon for restoration. I have tried an Internet search on this model but I am not having any luck. Has anybody any ideas ie photos, car clubs, production figures etc.
Many Thanks
Mauricio
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that you are not finding any information on the Chrysler Wimbledon is possibly because it was the last badge engineered Plymouth to be sold overseas as a Chrysler.

It was fitted with a 201ci 6 cylinder engine, and could be bought as a 5passenger saloon, an eight passenger sedan or limousine, a convertible coupé.

Standard equipment included a fog lamp and a ''dual power'' overdrive transmission. Exactly 60 001 of all types were manufactured.

I have a bit more info as well if its of any interest.

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do a search on Google Images, it brings up a couple of pictures on the BCA auction site:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=%22chrysler%20wimbledon%22&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

it'd be great to see some photographs of it!!

R
Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ
Thanks for the info and yes I would like as much info as possible to help out in the restoration. My E Mail is ye004r79@telefonica.net in case you do not want to bore other readers.
Rick
Here are some photos.

Thanks for the help.
Mauricio
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Stunning Motor Car, and excellent scenery/weather!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely car! don't worry, we wouldn't be bored reading about this car Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauricio, I think Rick is correct, nobodies going to get bored reading about this car....

On the right hand front door hinge pillar post should be a plate with the serial number. As a Chrysler, it should start C-**(22, 23, or 24). As a Plymouth, it will start P-** (7 or Cool If this plate is still on, can you tell me the number? I dont need the whole serial, just the beginning, but if you tell me it all, in a PM if you wish, I may be able to tell you things like where it was built, and so on.

UJ
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ,

The number plate has chassis no. W2071/2779413 and the other number is P2.216081 and the car is first registered date as 26/05/1936.

I do not mind you answering on the forum as it will make good reading material for everyone.
I will ask my friend for photos of the restoration and post them.
Regards
Mauricio
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading this information now from my files. I dont think it is incorrect, but apologies if it is

P2 makes it a 1936 Plymouth Deluxe - Model P2 - six. The chassis number (2779413) points to it having been manufactured in Detriot. It should have a sliding roof panel, is that correct?

The Chrysler Wimbledon first appeared in 1937, as an upscale version of the Kew six. So quite how it has the Chrysler badge, I cant answer.

I'll keep digging though, I am a little intrigued.....

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely car!, didn't Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones drummer) have one? It got sold at an auction a year or so back?

Dav
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yes Charlies car is actually the first featured car in the link that Rick provided earlier.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it Charlies, or Keith Moons?

UJ
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Sorry, thats me, can't tell Watt Moon I'm looking at.

Come to that one aging rocker isn't that different from any other....................................................

Runs away and hides with Tin Hat on........................

What is this errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Rock Music?
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe,

The car is now totally dismantled and I have contacted the owner and he says that this particular car does not have a sliding roof.

Thanks Again
Mauricio
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauricio, I've been checking my files again to confirm this info, as well as checking with contacts.

First, this car is a 1936 Plymouth. Quite why it has the Chrysler badge, I cannot say. The chassis number confirms this. This is also confirmed by two other things. First, as you say, the car does not have a sliding roof. Second, the first year of production for the Wimbledon was 1937, and that DID have a sliding roof. it was a standard feature.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: