classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Unusual rear brake shoes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1nvicta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Unusual rear brake shoes Reply with quote

I have a 1975 Mitsubishi J26 SWB "Jeep" and have noticed that the rear shoes are due to be replaced sometime soon. It's based on the M38A1 "Vietnam era" Jeep.

I've tried to match them against most common shoes but with no joy so far.

Can anyone suggest a possible source (Mitsubishi UK don't recognise the part number I gave them).

The only option I can think of is to get the shoes re-linned but I presume that would mean the Jeep being off the road for some time?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Bernard
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-lining is usually quick. Locate your nearest branch of "Friction Linings", who are a nationwide chain operating through franchised local companies (at least I think that's how it works), and give the problem to them. A week turn-round would be typical.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernard

Are they bonded or rivited? If they are rivited you can buy a coil of fricion material,some hollow brass rivets, cut and drill the material to the right size and rivet on. Its not complicated, you can even buy the drill bits that drill the 2 diameters of hole in one go.

There was a place in Stockport I used a few years ago who would reline shoes while you waited, perhaps if you talk to the place Glenn mentions they could do this for you.

Dave
1nvicta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen & Dave

Thank you for these suggestions. Much appreciated.

It appears these people can do them (48 Hr turn round):

Industrial Friction Materials Ltd
Unit 7 East Moors Business Park
East Moors Road, Ocean Park
Cardiff
CF24 5JX

Thanks
Bernard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: