classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Freeing a seized engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ianm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all, it think I would stick to the diesel , I have a mate that restores old stationary engines he finds in tips and he just soakes them in a tub of diesel , an old bath tub to be exact and he seems to get good results.
He did use some stuff called condensate when he worked on the Jackson Oil fields. Condensate is a natural liquid which comes from the ground with the oil and is extremly flammable , a spark of static electricity will set it off. You cant buy it but its great stuff.
The crude from Jackson you can run a diesel engine on straight from the ground but you need a couple of extra filters in the line.
Dont thik I would use hydrochloric acid unless you want a very pitted bore ,my son inlaw sharpens knives and restores steels for the local abattoir and he uses hydrochloric acid to pit the steels.
Ian Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
How long ago was it you got Hydochloric Acid from a chemist. 30 years ago I had to to try several before they let me have Oxalic acid for bleaching my Austin Mini Traveller Woody - I have still got the big brown bottle and it still works - its also removes rust stains from paintwork caused by a grinder

Hi Phil, it would have been about 12 years ago, from Boots in Chester, I also had sulphuric acid from them for a battery.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Oxalic acid, we buy this in a powder, and mix to what ever concentration you desire, I can readily get this, we use it in beekeeping.

Sulphuric 70% proof, you want to ask a tata farmer, as many burn the tata tops off, before the harvester goes through. It used to play silly Bu%^ers with the brooms on the sprayers! They also have about 5000 litres a go!

he he

Cheers

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must try it soon - perhaps I look furtive Rolling Eyes
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Freeing a seized engine Reply with quote

I've only just joined this wonderful forum, so please forgive the 'late' response!

Two methods I've used with success: (put the car in neutral first)
Soak the cylinders with PlusGas - this used to be freely available, perhaps less so now, but it is a true penetrating fluid, not an 'oil'. WD40 is a Water Dispersant & mostly evaporates.
Put a socket on the crankshaft nut, put the longest bar possible on it with a long (12'+) pipe on that & hang the heaviest weight you can find on the end - another engine block is good. If the pipe bends use a better one. Over a few days or weeks the engine will turn - repeat as needed. There should be a loud thud from the garage around 2am. The gentle pressure probably won't break the rings.

OR, if really desperate, use an impact wrench on the crankshaft nut - you'll need one with an adequate air supply, no 1/4" hoses here, please, & a high torque rating. Good chance of spraining the rings or cracking your wrist - but it does work.
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: freeing off a sizzed Engine Reply with quote

Have read the post about freeing a sizzed engine i ahve the following advice.

If all else fails and that includes beating the crowns witha hammer try this:

If the head is easly fitted refit .

Ensure the gasget is in good order, or you will be cleaning a mess up.

Get a old pan and add 2 pints off old engine oild, 2 pints od diesel and 2 pints of paffine.

Heat untill as near boiling, this is VERY DANGEROUS so take great care.

When is is boing pour down each bore and leave.

It will free the rings.

I ahve don this on a old Land Rover Side Valve engine what was left full off water for 6 years.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the best way to free a seized engine is to heat the block with boiling water and squirt plus gas down the bores.Brute force normally dameges something beyond repair but patience usually gets you there in the finish.
I've found WD$) is pretty much hopeless as a freeing off agent,diesel fuel is if anything better,I've never had huge confidence in Coca Cola athough some people swear by it.
clascar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Uncle Joe said earlier my penetrating fluid of choice is ATF fluid. It out performs everything else I have tried. I know it's an old chestnut but it stands repeating, WD40 is not a penetrating fluid. I believe the initals stand for Water Dispersant formula number 40..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: