classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Exhaust Extraction for a garage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Exhaust Extraction for a garage Reply with quote

I was looking to get a simple length of pipe to divert exhaust fumes out when I have the engine running in my garage. Thought I would have a look what is commercially available for exhast extraction and find they all have motors presumably driving fans , but cost £500 upwards!!
Am I missing something here? Is a length of tube not going to work, and even if I attached a fan can’t see why these things start at £500?

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that the expensive systems are for commercial use: where the engines have to be fine-tuned on an analyser?
And a long tube would alter the characteristics of an engine.

Not sure Confused
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have expected that the expensive parts of such a system would be the fan, the flexible pipes that connect to the exhaust, the ''inlet valve'' and the two tee-connectors.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
Is it possible that the expensive systems are for commercial use: where the engines have to be fine-tuned on an analyser?
And a long tube would alter the characteristics of an engine.

Not sure Confused

Hi pigtin, I did wonder that myself; when I had an LPG system installed on an Omega they made a big thing of keeping the induction system the same length as per the original spec for the same sort of reasons....
Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

i was thinking of getting the same sort of thing for my garage. The comercial ones that are pulled down from the cieling are non to great, we put one on a large tractor, and melted the thing, admitadly we were doing a stall test or something, so it was on full belt.

I was just thinking of getting a length of exhaust tube and putting it over my exhaust and out of the door, may help a bit. I was thinking the flexible pipe that you put on wagons, isn't that dear.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, if the thing melted, then it must have been a poorly designed system... I wouldnt expect that a length of exhaust pipe would work well enough, I suspect that it would affect the engine performance too much.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am not sure why it melted, but a few different ones have done that in the agricultral game, so much so they just use a pipe like I said on the exhaust now, and don't bother with extraction. As long as the pipe was bigger than the exhaust it seemed to work ok. So if you have a tractor with 200 horses or so beavering away as fast as they can don't use an extraction fan!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: