classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Are you under 25y/o and into old cars?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Melz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Are you under 25y/o and into old cars? Reply with quote

I'm a budding freelance journalist in Aus, and have been looking for an article that will give me a break into the world of motoring journalism.

So what I am after is to find at least one (can be more) young people (under the age of 25) to help me with a short interview and possibly a photo.

Hopefully my finished article will be published in Australia, and if I use the interview in the article, I will email a copy of the article to the parties involved.

The article idea is based around young people, and their declining involvement in classic car restoration and owning of classic cars.

If you can be of any assistance can you please send me a PM with your email address, what car you own, and a brief background on yourself.

If you are involved in the veteran car 'industry' at all but don't own a car, I would love to hear from you too.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Melz
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger! Just a couple of years too old. (I was 21 when we bought our first classic, although my husband has nearly always had a classic ever since he past his test 18 years ago)

You might be better having a try on Retro Rides, most of the guys on there are under 25. I could give the email address of the lad I know that is building a low-rider 1982 Chevy if you'd like, he's 24 and has built a few low riders with his younger brother.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fair variety of reasons why people are interested in old cars but if the principal reason is
simply nostalgia for things that were around in their youth then we should see a sharp decline
in the market values of older vehicles.

With average mortality for men pushing towards 80 years we should be seeing a
significant decline in the values of most pre-WWII cars but I'm not convinced that this is happening.

Peter Rolling Eyes
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you're wrong Peter, but it does seem to have a logical inevitability to it. Crying or Very sad
Don.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
There is a fair variety of reasons why people are interested in old cars but if the principal reason is
simply nostalgia for things that were around in their youth then we should see a sharp decline
in the market values of older vehicles.

I hear this theory a lot, but I know quite a few people that have little interest in cars they grew up with. I've never had much interest in cars I grew up with in the 70s and 80s, a vehicle has to pre-date me (with a small number of exceptions) for me to have much interest Smile I think good examples of most older cars will survive one way or another, with perhaps the inbetweeny condition cars falling by the wayside, as has always been the case.

I think interest in pre-war cars will continue, lots of young 'uns join the VSCC for example and campaign A7-based cars in sprints etc. If anything I think there is more of a problem in the classic commercial world with attracting fresh blood into the hobby, at least if what I've read in the mags is anything to go by.

The difficulties of storing large, or tall, commercials is a real issue, with so many barns being converted into living accomodation, or being knocked down altogether, and this can only add to the problem of getting younger people into the large stuff. This means having to buy a home with a large amount of land to accomodate your lorry, bus or whatever, and with house prices being what they are, this often isn't an option for a first (or second-) time buyer, thus making owning an old car a whole lot easier than rescuing a commercial.

At least pre-war cars will, usually, fit into a normal size garage, and the popular small cars are still very affordable (Austin 7s, 10s, Morris 8s etc).

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but cars made in the early 1900's attract a high premium... can't be too many folk who remeber them in their youth.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right ukdave, lets hope it's a sort of 'roll over' situation: Vintage, (pre 1930)
cars command a good price and lets hope that the same will apply to 30s and 40s cars in the fullness of time.

Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like veterans, pre 1905 and veterans pre 1919, vintage, classic, commercial, private, tractors cycles, anything old. My mate is just the same, and I know a few people intersted in vintage cars. Like rick says vintage cars seem to be more popuar than comercials, if I could find a parking space, or place to build a shed/rent a shed near by, I would buy a bigger comercial, but it is all down to space for so many people.

I am really into steam as well, and I know of a lot of families that are into this, which is good, younger people are following there parents into the movement.

If I was into cars from my youth, I would have to like cars from a few years back, not really my cup of tea!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi
If I was into cars from my youth, I would have to like cars from a few years back, not really my cup of tea!
Cheers
Dave

so you don't fancy restoring an Austin Maestro, or a Vauxhall Nova then Laughing Shocked (sorry UJ for bringing up something really modern, albeit briefly Wink)

I got my first oldie when I was 15 (via dad), someone had dismantled it, and left it to rot. Everything had been reduced to the last nut and bolt, and chucked in boxes, no notes or anything. No floors, sills etc. Thats what started me off on the slippery slope. I then took over running the A40 Farina when I was 17, rescued my first E83W (the one buzzy now has) when I was 19, discovered and rescued a few Amazons, the Saab van, a Vauxhall 12 and plenty of others long before I hit 25, which is the age I was when I found the Dodge. I'm sure there are plenty of other teenagers out there doing just the same today, they can't all be playing on games consoles Wink

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, dont worry about it...although yet another late model (in my world) has turned up today.

What on earth is interesting about a MkII Capri? If it had been a Consul Capri, yes...but an MkII? Dont some of you guys realise that you are lowering the tone of this forum? Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my wishful thinking....

There are loads of kids in the UK, late teens early 20’s who have Saxo’s, small Pugs, Fords & Vauxhall etc, they may well annoy you with the noisy exhaust & base bin, (like kids never had noisy exhausts on cars & bike’s 40 years ago and didn't like loud music!...not) but think about it; they have some pride in their car and an interest in cars. 10 or 20 years later when they hopefully have a little bit of spare cash, they may look at a car that is more than than the practical modern that gets the family from a to b.
I have been in petrol stations with the Stag and Morris 8 approached by kids asking what the car is; ....there is an interest.
However I also remember going to a certain marquee car club meet when I was in my early 20's ,nogin they called it, turned up in my rebuilt totally by me insurance write off 1980's Talbot Sunbeam, with a genuine interest in getting in to classic cars , made to feel like I had the plague! So I guess as well as my hope there is also an onus on us to encourage an interest in cars with out prejudice or the snobbery (and there is some) in our hobby. That way we may ensure the future.

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the time when one of our local steam and vintage shows would not admit pre-war Austin sevens... because they were too common.
Time and tastes change Confused
Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I went to a show once, aproached a chap with a 1920's tourer, looked at his car (can't remember much about it) and when I spoke to him, asking about his car, I thought I had a contageous disease, he as good as told me to get lost. He was an elderly chap, and towards the end of the day, I had one last look as I was genuinely interested. I started conversation with the chap, mentioned my pickup, and minis, and he soon started showing interest in me, and that he was amazed a youngster had such an interest, so much so, he was going to go back and share the news with his club. Anyway I spoke to him for a good half hour I would have thought. I never have seen him or the car again.

I think it is reasuring to enthusiasts at shows and rallies, espescialy the older folk if the younger people arrive in an old car, so it shows an interest, and they feel less threatened incase I was a sterotypical youth in there eyes!

Cheers

Dave

P.S... No novas or maestros for me thatnks, bar maybe as a stubble car!
72vx490

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im only 25 and into my classics, just busy restorin my vx4/90 at the minute
Geoffp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only due to the youngsters. I think that quite a number of us middle-aged characters here (myself included) are interested in old cars because our fathers were and the disease proved hereditary Smile But nowadays very few of my generation seem interested in classics; as soon as there is any disposable income, most of the people I know buy the newest Mercedes C Class or E Class they can afford, or alternatively a Mazda MX5. The classics can be counted on the thumbs of one hand Crying or Very sad (a solitary Midget) so perhaps that is one reason.
I also wonder if it is the show scene to blame. Some one make clubs, especially those with thriving branches have an active social scene with something for all the family, but too many shows are at locations with no other attractions, and full of badge snobs (or age, or originality) who are too far up their own exhaust pipes for their own good and put off genuine enthusiasts.
So, let's make it FUN, that should encourage more people young and old.

Geoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: