classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Manipulating photos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Manipulating photos Reply with quote

Can those of you that are into computers answer a question? How easy is it for someone to manipulate a photo on a pc? For example, take a photograph of a car, and add it to a completely different background.

Could it be done in such a way that nobody could tell?

I'm not planing on doing this, I might add! A few days ago, I saw someone advertising a car for sale. The car was one of mine somewhere it had never been...
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be experienced with a program such as adobe Photoshop, but yes, it is possible.

After all, the US Govt. fooled everybody back in the 60's with the moon walk... Laughing

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it must be easy to do, for anyone other than a computer illiterate than me!

I have managed to get the ad removed now.

But what it makes me wonder is, how many people are advertising a car for sale, and using photos of other peoples cars? Has anyone ever come across this before?
erindoors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick had his E83W listed on ebay by someone else recently Shocked - link here: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2846

It makes your blood boil doesn't it? Mad Mad Mad

Erindoors
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blood was more than boiling when I saw the ad. I've now taught some quite new english words to some swedes.... Laughing

I had missed Ricks posting, I dont go into that part of the forum much. Thanks for pointing it out to me...

Erin, have you seen the ''Classics in Hamburg'' topic? You might find it interesting...and Rick might kill me for pointing it out to you! Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example that I tried some time ago. I used MS Picture It to trace the outline of the car and superimpose it on the new photo. The difficulty is in getting the outline accurately followed and in matching viewing angle and lighting strength and direction to match. I was trying to reproduce a wartime
photo. The small colour image is taken at the same location but I didn't have
my car with me at the time.

Peter

And in 1946 Jaguar Cars were also superimposing images but with the assistance of an artist..

Penman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This was done with Adobe Photoshop, only the free elements programme, not the bought one.

Original.

No background with me in the driving seat.

That layer could then be put on another photo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: