classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fate has decreed that I have a new project!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG its the lamps you wanted well done
Did you write in French? I will email him if you wish

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON I just had another look, Did you make an offer? its says "faire offre" which means make an offer sorry if you knew this already he could be waiting for other offers

Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't make him an offer I asked him would he be prepared to send them to England?
I notice quite a lot of ads on French ebay state for sale to France only so I just thought I'd check. It was written simply, then translated using an online translator.

Bonjour monsieur,

J'ai l'intérêt pour ces phares, est-ce que vous êtes capables d'envoyer en Angleterre ?

Merci,
Égards,
Peter.

Have I asked for half a pond if fish oranges? Laughing
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that is fine you even got the verb correct well done
never seen the egards word though
we tend to use "cordialement"

Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised engine in today Cool

the blue is close to the body colour I thought a bit of detailing would look nice even though not original
All the black on the heat exchangers is high temp paint as it the manifold for those of you who know what the 2cv6 manifold looks like

Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice days work! Smile
Did you re-use the engine and gearbox mountings or renew them? The "cv Bamboo that I sold the week before last ran and drove beautifully, and smoothly compared to mine. It felt so much different, and as it had just been rebuilt I put it down to worn mountings on my hard used example.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, all new, the worse one for vibration is the gearbox one Laughing
I haven't started it yet and wont probably for a month or so Crying or Very sad

I have a TPV parts supplier in Limoges that will do everything for the 2CV thankfully I also use ECAS in the UK

Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this site in your adopted home:
http://www.ami-2cv.com/index.php

Compare the prices to Ecas and there is quite a difference, I've not enquired whether or not they supply us 'Rosbifs' yet but if they do then I'll be putting a tidy order in!
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good prices they are close to what I pay as a club member of the Cassis 2CV with the club discount
If you ever have a problem with delivery I will take it for you and pass it on

Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update on the 2cv refurbishment!

Having previously stripped the replacement shell of virtually everything (you may recall the car was fire damaged) I now have my own 2cv off the road as a donor/platform for the rebuild.
Here she is as we may never see her looking again! Smile Note the darker patches on the bonnet are glimpses of the cars actual colour if I had ever bothered to wash it or perhaps T-cut the paint!

The plan is to sort out the surface rust on the new bodyshell before sending it off to the welders to attend to the bits that I can't do.
So...over she goes and I've spent the day scraping off underseal and wire brushing back to bare metal any rust spots before treating them.

I had mentioned in a previous post that although professionally done this previously 'restored' bodyshell was quickly rusting away again due to the resto company skimping on the most basic of requirements. Note below how underseal has been applied after the body was re-united with the chassis, thus leaving untreated areas behind the petrol tank and rear chassis rails...just the sort of places dirt and moisture love to hide!

Here's a better illustration of my theory behind the rotting out of the new sill, not helped of course by the apparent lack of seam sealer used during the rebuild.

In 2cv terms this car is of course in very sound condition but it ought to be as most of the panels on view were replaced recently! The only rust occurring seems to be down to lack of care in the re-assembly, obviously as garages are time pressured to turn them round.
What I will do different is to take the time to fill any crevices with Dum Dum sealer, on top of which will go seam sealer and finally underseal.
The surface rust mentioned was mainly due to spots where the underseal had lost adhesion and allowed water to get behind it, this makes me think that one of the epoxy POR type finishes would perhaps fare better for longevity but I don't have time to prep the underside for this before the welder comes to take it away.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God how many times have I been there Rolling Eyes
You have it right though, they are only rot boxes in always the same places which makes it easier
Belt and braces on these and you will have the 2cv rust free for as long as you want it. Don't forget behind the seat belt mounts at the rear Cool
Good job so far, drown it in waxoyl too

Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I've had the welding done I plan to seam seal and thoroughly weatherproof the underside. After the shell is re-painted I'll then fill it with Waxoyl or Dinitrol until it sloshes! Laughing
I've just bought these from France:- Grey interior trim to replace the standard UK black stuff,

I'm still looking for one of these yet:
and some other odds and ends in 'gris'. Very Happy
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Citroen 2CV Reply with quote

Hi Old Nail, I'm very interested to see how your restoration turns out! One other thing is the Scrap yard were right in saying they could only sell the car as spares that is because the insurance company would have classed it as a category B (Breaker only) loss, this is usually what happens to a fire damaged vehicle.

Regards

Jerry
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jerry, I thought it would be an insurance related decision.Crying or Very sad
The funny thing is the VIN/chassis number on 2cv's is on the bodyshell not the chassis, there's nothing at all on the chassis so I thought they would have perhaps done it the other way round.
I see by your Beetlefan name there's a chance that you like Beetles? Very Happy Me too, it's my keep going looking on the resto cal site and seeing the amazing amount of work put into those Beetles that has inspired this rebuild!
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Old nail, yes I am a bit fond of Beetles and have restored a fair few of them at the moment my project is a 1980 (registered new in Guernsey in 1982) MG BGT, unfortunately I don't have a Garage attached to the House and the project has stalled at the moment due to lack of Time and my Wife nagging Me to finish the house off Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: