classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Workshops
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and convince my dishwasher in doing these bits and pieces but I dont think she'll accept Laughing
Marksmini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at last some pictures,

its not as tidy and as clean as some of the pics in here already but heres mine.

but in about 4/5 weeks time i will have something new, as ive bought my self a 5 by 6 meter log cabin garage and a matching summer house to go next to it, so im 4/5 weeks time i will be kitting out my new garage, and this time with more storage space i think Laughing

with all 3 cars in there its abit tight!

Marksmini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
I like to put relaxing classical music on my CD player to keep me happy, or to drown out the swearwords when things go pear shaped!

i have a computer in my garage so i play my music off that. a nice set of speakers and a flat screen does the trick nicly for me.

i use it for all my manuals which are all on disc, and to store pics of my car (s) etc.
Marksmini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O look ive found one of it abit tidier! Laughing

This is my other workshop.

Mad ok so its not mine but it is sort of. Im a technical trainer for Renault uk and this is my work shop i train out of, There are 6 other trainers who share this with me so its not all mine but we can do prity much as we wish.

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like both your sheds, You think yours were untidy, I will dig some pics out for you, If I can find them, as the photo cuboard is a mess too! hehe

I have a old "Wireless" for music, and it plays such things as the Arches, and has a loveley smell as the valves warm up.

I see you have them exhaust extractors in the renault garage, We managed to melt a number of them, hehe Hence not with a car!

Cheers

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
My father and I used to work for Drummond Bros in Gulidford, at that time, '40s through to early '60s, they were manufacturing allsorts of lathes, gear cutters and gear hobbers for various of the motor industry production lines.
I was in the offices about 1962-65 but my father was on the shop floor from1938-1965.
Marksmini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the exhaust extractors arnt used much. infact the workshops are only used for training purposes so we dont have much need for the extractors, depending on of course what training course we are teaching that week.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marksmini wrote:

What are the things to the left of the van? Can't make them out!
Marksmini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrical test boards, there baiscly a renault clio on a board.
but with this board it has a box of tricks which i can stwitch and put loads of differant faults, eg you put the inders on and the brake light starts to flash too or we can even make the inders flash slower etc, and the people on the course would have to carry out the testing needed to locate and advise on the corrct repair etc... (down side is they cost more than the car its self would cost)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I see!

I was being tested on pneumatics once at college, we built a curcuit and then the examiner moved some pipes around, we had to find the faults. I did them in a record time, as I put all of the supply pipes in blue and the return in red pipes, it was so obvious, but it made my life easy, saw the changed pipes, moved them back, and it worked fine. Not that that is cheating, just being resourcefull in my book! hehe

Sounds like we could have done with some boards like you have! Laughing

Cheers

Dave
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marksmini wrote:

Don't you just love those old antique doorstops !!!

Nice setup you have there. I trust you help the little lady to lift the engine/trans' assembly onto the bench.

I seem to think there was a time when I could lift one on my own, but maybe it was minus, several components.
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
I seem to think there was a time when I could lift one on my own, but maybe it was minus, several components.

Not recommended.
The first engine I lifted out was my Hillman Super Minx, I stripped everything I could from it and thought it would be a simple lift. (at 16 years old you do not realise just how heavy a block could be) I slid the engine forward to clear the gearbox and down it dropped, trapping my hand between the block and the crossmember. luckily my mothers friend was in our house and she was the local district nurse. She soon had it cleaned out and patched up.

The next engine was my Marina TC and I was more careful this time. I slung a rope round the block, stood on the inner wings and lifted the engine straight out. It was not a clever idea either as I suffered back problems for a while afterwards. When refitting the engine I bolted the gearbox on, all ancillaries and raised the car high enough to slip the lot in from below....Oh how I wish I had taken it out that way.
Marksmini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes not recomended. i do need an engine lift! lifting it up there was ok as i didnt mind banging it around but ligting it off on my own well! filp, \i forgot how heavey the thing was. i did get it off the bench ok but yeah it dropped quicker than i would have hoped!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be lifting anything, you said you train students don't you, get them to come back and do the lifting! hehe

Thre of us lifted a transit van engine into a pickup once, boyu that was heavy enough!

Lifting my Drummond lathe and stand off a truck was the heaviest thing I have ever done, and I couldn't straighten up for a week or two!

Cheers

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work with an ex motor mechanic who served his time in in the 50s. I remember him telling me the test of manhood was to lift a Morris Minor engine off the stores counter.

Think of what health and safety would say about it today? the lawyers would make a fortune. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: