classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Cambridge A60
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
markfolder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Austin Cambridge A60 Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 1965 austin ambridge A60 automatic, & I need some help.
The car was running fine until recently, when the engine became very uneven running at tickover & low speed driving. Now the problem has got worse & the car is virtually undrivable due to what seems to be constant 'missing' .
I have replaced all of the plugs, points, rotor, condensor & cap, but to o avail.
A friend advised that it might be to do with the valves, as the car has been run on unleaded petrol with one of those inline convertor thingies, or perhaps the coil might be faulty. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

Hi

Could be several things..

Might be worth checking the compressions on all cylinders, could be a stuck/burnt valve.

Engine timing? is the dizzy securely tightened up?

If it gets worse when things warm up, it could be the coil breaking down.

If you run it low on fuel, you might have pulled up some crud from the bottom of the tank.

There could be an air leak where the inlet manifold bolts to the head, or where the carb attaches to the manifold.

All are possibilities anyway!!

hth
Rick
markfolder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Ref Ricks suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I will change the coil & see if that does the trick I will also check all the bolts etc are tight. I have never checked compression before so don't know where to start. Do you know whether (if its a burnt / stuck valve), whether a redex shot in each of the spark plug barrells will cure it ?
Help is very much appreciated. Thanks again,
Mark
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what they cost you may as well swap out the coil, and cross that off the 'possibles' list

You need a compression tester, these have an attachment that either pushes into, or (better) screws into, the plug hole. The idea is to spin the engine on the starter (remove the main HT lead from dizzy to coil, you don't want it starting!!) with the tester in one plug hole at a time, and make a note of the readings. You only need to churn it over for 5 seconds or so each time.

Have never tried Redex, but it wont cure the underlying fault - if there is one.

rgds
Rick
markfolder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: compression tester Reply with quote

Thanks again Rick, I'm getting hold of a compression tester on 26th Sept. I will keep you informed !
Presumably if I get one reading lower than the other 3, that suggests a valve problem ?
Cheers
Mark
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A low reading could indicate a sticking or burnt out valve.

If you find a low reading, put a small drop of oil down the bore and do the test on that one cylinder again. If the reading stays the same, its probably a valve problem. If the reading goes up, you may have worn piston ring(s).

hth
RJ
markfolder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: valves Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, your'e a mine of information.
Cheers
Mark
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Thanks Rick, your'e a mine of information

yeah, mostly useless :)
markfolder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: cambridge Reply with quote

Rick,
thanks (again !).
Compressions all equal & 150 per cylinder, carb cleaned etc.
After all that, I managed to get hold of a new coil (with a screw fitting ht end !) & that solved the problem. So I'm now well pleased.
Only problem left now, is that since the carb was cleaned out (by a mechanic, before I fitted the coil), he adjusted the timing slightly, so the car is a little sluggish & pinks a little under strain.
I've never adjusted the distributor before, so any advice would be well received.
All the best
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: