classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I am fuming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: I am fuming Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad
I am in the process of finding the most economical way to get the clutch on my 64 International Harvester sorted. One of the three levers is worn paper thin, so I am thinking I need a new pressure plate assembly and start searching the usual sites for IH bits. Someone responds telling me they have one for $75 ,but is unsure of shipping charges. I find on the USPS website that you can ship a 12x12x6 box weighing up to 20lbs for $49. the cover assembly is 15lbs. Not too bad.
I then stumble across a place that can supply just the levers Smile great I think to myself. they only weigh 5oz each, so less than a pound in total. The down side is they want $39 each and $59 to ship for a packet that will weigh less than a pound.
Not a happy chappie Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent an LP record to a buyer in Japan by DHL courier, it cost £126.00.
And that's just a few ounces of Vinyl! Shocked
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-N I am used to being ripped off in this country......I bought a pair of wiper blades for one of my American cars from a parts supplier in the U.K. I was charged £33. The very same brand, same part number, in the same packet retailed in the U.S. for $5 each.

I always try and avoid the big carriers like DHL and UPS unless I am desperate for the part. The thing I don't like is that you have paid your parts supplier for shipping and when they turn up at your door they want another £12-£15 for some fee or another. When I can, I always ask for parts to be sent United States Postal Service. It does take longer, but that is down to HM Customs falling asleep, and they don't like it when you complain.

I managed to get a direct number for the storage facility, where parcels are held waiting Customs clearance, and was told that stuff is just piled up waiting on Custom to clear it for Parcelforce and it can lay there for a week or more. Customs denied this, claiming that they process it within 24 hours.
Rolling Eyes
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar experiences, Britain has a very poor efficiency standard compared to some other postal/customs services.
I've tracked stuff I've bought from Chicago via Louisiana to my home, it took just one day for the first leg, it was in Britain for the second day, and was delivered to me two weeks later!

It's all part of the slide into becoming a second rate, third world country I'm afraid which is the way we're heading Price wise we have not earned the tag 'Rip-off Britain' for nothing!
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DH,

I've done this a couple of times when the suppliers P&P was expensive for what it was -

I contacted a friend in the US to make sure it was ok with this and then had the item shipped to him as it is inexpensive, sometimes free to ship within the continental US. When it arrived at my friends all he did was re-address the package and sent it US Mail. Saved me a few bob, even when I sent him his $'s back, although it did cost me an XL A&W chilli cheese-dog when I saw him on our next vacation! Very Happy

Scotty. Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened an account with Bax here, as I regularly bring in parts from the US nowadays. Result, I pay at least 25% less, usually even less than that. As far as time goes, it takes me just as long to get parts from say Stockholm, as it does from California. Which points to our postal service being worse than in the UK.

One thing about this place though is the fact that DH's clutch plate might just be available off the shelf, but at a price.
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed we get the dirty end of the stick in the main but as an Importer of US made stuff I frequently get accused of profiteering on UK v US prices.

I sell an item here for £250 plus delivery (£8.50) it weighs 15kg and is long heavy and metal. To get my discount I have to buy 20 at a time and ship them over. I pay up front for the goods, the shipping, duty and vat then the insurance and premises and business costs so they are available here in the UK fr next day delivery. For all that cost, hassle and risk I make £50 on each one.

No, it not nice being ripped off but spare a thought for the small business who struggles against being squeezed in all directions. Basically if you don;t buy here then the retailers will cease to stock your stuff and then you'll have to deal with warranty issues yourself and put up with 3 weeks lead times!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand that a business has to make a reasonable profit. That is something that I can fully accept. But, they have to provide a quality service as well. For me personally, that is important.

For the next part remember that I am not in the UK, but Sweden. As far as 3 week lead times from the US goes, my normal delivery time is 4 working days, now and again 6. I've had a warranty claim once with a company in California. I mailed, got a reply asking me to send a photo, which I did. Within the hour, I got a reply saying that my part was already being shipped, and to throw the faulty one....

Compare that to a some well known small companies here. Delivery was 6 weeks in one case, 10 in another. Those two I dont deal with anymore. Two more are usually 7-10 days. Two others though, are always next day. So who do you think gets my business here? I'd also like to point out that with all of these local companies, I have a business account, so if anything, that should speed things up.
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. If you don't get the service then they cannot expect the business. My gripe is the people who expect me to sell at the US retail price converted to ££.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those people are a pain, I do agree.

Its not from the US, but anyway...before I retired, I was importing items here from the UK. The difference in price here was the difference in Vat, which is 25% here. I got a few customers moaning about this, so I told them to order themselves from my supplier...without exception, they placed more orders with me after doing one theirselves...
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been in business myself for many years I do understand the principle of trading and making a profit, and I certainly don't expect a $5 item to retail here for £5. I just think that £16.50 + vat is too much for an item that retails at $5.
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is sold at what the market will bear. If it is a rare or difficult to obtain item then fair enough, if it is a common item then they are being cheeky, however if it sells at that price ........
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, its the cheap stuff that some companies think that they can charge ridiculous prices for, hence the £16.50+Vat for a $5 part.

As regards rare parts, someone here has just asked me for £180 for a used petrol tank for my 300. So what is my answer? When autumn comes around, and I wont be using the car, I'll take a trip to the steel merchant, buy some stainless, and break out the TIG... and knowing me, take the finished tank to the breaker when its done! Laughing
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started selling the alternators and starters I acquired from the garage that was closing down, I was put on to:

http://www.payperparcel.co.uk/

for a cheap and very convenient way to use DHL. About £8.00 for 2-3 day service for up to 30kgs, collected from my door, charge it to paypal from the monies received from your buyer.

But the big plus is that you can use it to collect stuff you have bought. Great to stop those sellers on the net who try to make big profits from the postage. I ask them to pack the item and then book the collection and email an address label to the seller. I've saved up to £10 on more than one parcel.

I am still looking for a way to get goods from the US sellers who won't even quote for European shipping.

Any one got any ideas?
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:
Having been in business myself for many years I do understand the principle of trading and making a profit, and I certainly don't expect a $5 item to retail here for £5. I just think that £16.50 + vat is too much for an item that retails at $5.

I have limited sympathy .... you DID pay £33 and were happy enough until you saw the $US price Rolling Eyes . It's not nice to think you've been overcharged
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: