classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I am fuming
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianM, are the parts from private people or companies? Since 9/11, private peple in the US are limited to the ways they can ship, which might explain your problems to a certain degree.
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had items sent from the US by both companies and private individuals, but there are a lot of car parts dealers in the US who will not even consider shipping overseas.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found one or two of those myself, but thankfully, there seems to be more that are willing than arent.

I was really annoyed with one place though. They have all the parts I need for my Lincoln, but wont ship... Evil or Very Mad
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

I needed a pair of rear tailgate struts for my Cherokee - £55 each from the local Jeep Stealer, USD39 a pair from several suppliers in the US, but it took four tries to find one who would ship. Shipping was only USD10 and took just four days to get to me.

I first thought the part suppliers couldn't be bothered with overseas shipping, but then wondered if they were discouraged from exporting by the manufacturers of the parts to protect their UK distributors.

Or is that just me being an old cynic?

Does anyone stateside do a "groupage" service where my order is sent to them in the US and then sent over to the UK in a larger consignment and sent on to me?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

For new Mopar stuff, you can always try Germany. According to my local dealer, thats were all the parts to Europe go before being sent to the respective countries. How true this is, I dont know.

FYI, at present I'm discussing bringing in parts myself. What will become of this though is to early to say.
ianm

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all , I think its the world all over I wanted to purchase a fuel injection system for my Fiat X1/9 which i could get complete delivered to Oz for $424 US . I was advised to change the fuel tank to a bottom feed . The seller could supply one for $90 US ,great, then the bad news because of its size it would have to go FEDEX $310 US freight.
I'm still running a Weber.
Ian
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that an aftermarket injection, or original Fiat?
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianm wrote:
G'day all , I think its the world all over I wanted to purchase a fuel injection system for my Fiat X1/9 which i could get complete delivered to Oz for $424 US . I was advised to change the fuel tank to a bottom feed . The seller could supply one for $90 US ,great, then the bad news because of its size it would have to go FEDEX $310 US freight.
I'm still running a Weber.
Ian

Shipping is the killer, especially by air. Surface is obviously cheaper but takes ages. Even then, I have been quoted quite high figures. sometimes it is cheaper to ship a whole car than ship a large part. I have shipped 3 cars from the east coast of the U.S. and never paid more than a $1000 each for roll on roll off.
ianm

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never posted anything overseas except to my son in law in East Timor & Iraq and that was picked up by the Defence Dept.
I must go to the PO and enquire what the cost are to UK & US.
Ian Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: