classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

brake and clutch relining
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: brake and clutch relining Reply with quote

I've just had the transmission brake shoes re-lined by a guy called John Cooper (01603 741 274 07939 457 540) who can do brakes, clutches etc. He's a top bloke who charged me less than a set of brake pads for my Landrover for the Alldays brakes.

He can anything and is a top bloke and got mine turned around very quickly even though he's in Norfolk and I'm in Glasgow.
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I have some factory replacement clutch linings but I would be unsure about removing and riveting the new ones on without some sort of press. I would guess it would be a piece of cake for him. Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I used to rivet them on, by putting a suitable parrell punch upwards in the vice, for use as an anvil, having someone hold the plates etc, and then rivet the plates on cold with a hammer, copper rivets I think they were, was quite simple.

Removing is just a case of drilling out, and scraping off, being careful of the dust, and not doing like someone I know, going to the door and sanding them off with a grinder Shocked

Ah well, not sure if that is how you are meant to do them, but it seemed to work!

Cheers

Dave
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather do it myself.......that way I can clean the dismantled plate and paint it..............What am I saying, that is rather sad don't you think......painting a part that will never see the light of day Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it Thorough, Just convice yourself of that and you will be fine. hehe Laughing
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Rdover. How is the Alldays? I enjoyed reading about it last autumn.
These sort of contacts are fantastic aren't they? does anyone collate them anywhere, so that we can quickly find them when we need them? I always prefer to use a company or service that comes with a personal recommendation, but I end up racking my brain(s) to recall where I read of the contact!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: