classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Are safety rims available in UK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Are safety rims available in UK? Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I would like to run tubeless radials on my Morris J van here in Australia. It is a requirement here that the wheels need to have sefety rims to run tubeless tyres. I think in Europe that is not so, but Im not sure about the situation in England.
The existing rims are not suitable to have the hump rolled into them, so the rims would need to be replaced. Of course neither of the two (Australian or US) rims available here will fit the Morris centers. So Im hoping that correct size safety rims are available in UK.
If so, could someone point out a likely supplier.

Cheers all
Mike & the Morris J in Melbourne.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Tyres have access to wheelwrights - try them. They have a good website too
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

It quite common over here to put a tube in a tubless tyre, when the wheel won't seal to the tyre, would this get round the problem?
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safety rim's prime function is to hold the thicker tubeless tyre rim firmly in place so as to prevent it rolling off under cornering. Even with a tube to prevent sudden deflation some rims will trap the tube with the tyre bead causing later blowouts
Land Rover S2 & S3
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats 'vintagetyres.com' in Hampshire is it Phil?

Well fitting tubes used to be common here too, thirty years ago. It is an option, but as Phil points out, on the narrow (5") rim there are potential problems. You also loose that wonderful luxury of tubless tyres; no tube!

Cheers
Kaybee

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, if you're going to re-rim your J, why not just have some 6" rims fitted, it's only a 1/2" either side and it's hardly likely anyone would notice. Plenty of wheelworks around Melbourne that can easily do the work for you, regards, Col.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its the correct Vintage Tyres - I have used them for tyres and bits for my pre-war Rover's wire spoked wheels which can never be tubeless even if any were made!
Land Rover S2 & S3
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Col, thats exactly where I started. So to expand my first post, there are two rims available here. The Morris rims have an ID of 346mm. The USA rims available here have ID of 342mm. These could be fitted, but require modification of the center; unacceptable. The Australian rims are 365mm ID. These could be fitted with a steel band to take up the gap, but would look like total crap.
So I streched my immagination to think that rims made in UK now would have the same ID as fifty years ago. So far I cant even find a manufacturer over there. Maybe this vintagetyres place knows somewhere that makes them. Some secret place where you knock three times and say "Joe sent me"Wink

If the UK search fails, might see what I can get from China. It might even be the best option.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: