classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT Pigtin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: MOT Pigtin. Reply with quote

I now have to drag myself away from the computer and do a final check on the A7 special before the MOT this afternoon.
Have spent over a week working on the brakes and now see what was meant when I was told: 'The brakes should not be too good on a seven.'
Bags of power from the Morris Minor hydraulc system on the front and it pulls up straight at lower speed, but above 30mph things start to flex and it waves about a bit.
Still, fingers crossed for this afternoon. I shall probably have to beef up the radius arms at some time. Confused
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that on your special, you have drums on all four wheels. Is that correct? And is the Master Cylinder on the bulkhead, or under the floor?
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris Minor drums on the front, a hydro/mechanical A30 system operates standard A7 rear rear drums. a Land Rover clutch master cylinder is mounted on the bulkhead on a Reliant Robin pedal cluster.
Confused? I am... As you may gather I used what I had lying around and could pick up at Autojumbles when I built the beast. Smile Embarassed
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked was that I was wondering if it wouldnt be a good idea to add an adjustable proportioning valve to your system?
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a great idea UJ, but you'l have to tell this old dinasaur (stuck in the 30s) what one of those is? Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, a proportioning valve is something that allows pressure to front and rear change in a linear fashion.

Up to certain pressures, a proportioning valve allows equal pressure to both the front and rear brakes. However, when a preset pressure is reached, the rear brake pressure continues to build, but at a slower rate than the front brake pressure, thus decreasing the amount of rear braking proportional to the fronts.

There are other ways to do this, but this is the easiest.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini's have them , without them because the back end is so light, the rear would just lock up under heavy braking.
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! sounds like the answer, where can I get em? I'll try ebay first. Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I usually use is the one from you friendly neighbourhood Chrysler dealer, under part number P5249088. Added to that you need two nipples for the brake pipes you use. If I remember correctly they are 7/16" thread.

Do Google brake proportioning valves first though, and get a little more information on them, to make sure that they are exactly suitable for you. I would like to be responsible for anything bad happening to you! Unless of course you have decided to leave me the special in your will..... Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for info UJ. About the will... I, like many of my age
have taken up SKIing: (Spending the Kids, Inheritance)... If the memsahib and I get it right there shouldn't be anything left. Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good News! Pigtin passed the MOT Laughing Laughing now the bad news: took the documents to the post office gripped in my hot sweaty little hand to be told there was a problem and to come back in 15 mins, thirty minutes later they told me the Swansea computer was off line and they couldn't de-sorn and tax it. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news.

UK might have suggested a cheaper way to do things, though on the Mini they arent adjustable....
Penman

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
re the proportioning valve, don't forget that on FWD the rear wheels only stop the boot dragging on the ground, so if the rear brakes are too efficient they lock up too easily.
With your seven, the wheels still have some drive to them until you dip the clutch.
You also have to avoid having too sharp a braking action because the contact area between the tyres and the road is so much smaller, half the tyre width would give half the contact area but because the tyres are likely to also be a larger diameter but with less flattening at the bottom xplys compared with radials, the actual contact area may be less than half that of a modern car.
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fronts are 400/17 crossplys which give sod all adhesion in the wet
When the're a little more worn I'll swap them for 450s, the same as on the back. The back brakes are very feeble compared with the front.
47p2

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the MOT pigtin. DVLA were most likely out sunbathing today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: