classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Daft designs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Daft designs Reply with quote

Now I can forgive old vehicles most things, but even I recognise pointless design when it stares me in the face. Witness the A55's ignition switch, cunningly placed directly behind the steering wheel, making it awkward enough to use when the wheels are pointing straight ahead, and even worse when at an angle. Why not just put it to the right, near the wiper switch???? doh

R

OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spare wheel in the SS Jaguar is stored horizontally beneath the boot and requires you to hinge up the compartment door to gain access. However, before you can hinge up the door you need to hinge down the rear bumper.
This is fine when the car is sitting on fully inflated tyres but with a puncture on the rear it isn't possible to hinge the bumper down because it hits the ground and also prevents you from plugging the supplied pillar jack into the
rear jacking points.

As a further bonus design feature the pillar jack has insufficient lift to get the wheels clear of the ground although in fairness to the designer this only afflicts front wheel punctures.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the "space saver" spare wheel. The spare wheel compartment has insufficient height to accomodate the tyre width so your spare needs to be stored deflated. Sad

Peter Rolling Eyes
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely when wheel isin its correct straight ahead position and not as in your pic you just poke your arm through the top half of steering wheel Question

Is it the wiper switch on the left?

Anyway placed centrally there it is clearly to look symetrical and neat - design over functionality a usual

Not sure what went wrong switch the 3 oddly placed switches/warning lights on the right though PO adds:roll:

On my P5 the standard fit electric washers is on the left side of the instrument pod - its clearly labled for the passenger to see but completely out of sight of the driver and MOT inspectors Rolling Eyes Drivers find it by feel.

The first models did have a non-electric floor pump and they could not find a more convenient place I suppose when the electric pump was fitted in 1962
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Surely when wheel isin its correct straight ahead position and not as in your pic you just poke your arm through the top half of steering wheel Question

yeah of course, but its still a bit of an angle to get through, not a natural move at all Smile

talking of dodgy dash layouts again, was it the Marina that cunningly angled the ICE (read: dodgy wireless) away from the driver towards the passenger?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that anoys me is the horn being on the indicator stalk on the left hand side, so anoying passengers can hoot your horn when you are driving, it really pees me off.

One guy the other day hit my steering wheel trying to do the horn, I said don't do that too hard, you are hitting my air bag!

Supose this is more a rant over passengers, but there we go! Laughing
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my classic Range Rover I have to stretch full arms length to adjust the radio Shocked
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns on stallks are bad but when did you last use the horn? The really retrograde step was moving the dip switch onto a stalk. Evil or Very Mad

Those nice floor dip switches were great. Now you have to keep a hand, that's
busy doing something else, hovering near the stalk while your left foot is doing nothing.

Peter
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
The really retrograde step was moving the dip switch onto a stalk. Evil or Very Mad

Those nice floor dip switches were great. Now you have to keep a hand, that's busy doing something else, hovering near the stalk while your left foot is doing nothing.

Peter

While reading the first posts on this I was composing my criticism of floor mounted dipswitches, and then came to Peter's support of this particular pet hate.

On the Amazon the dip switch is right where I rest my left foot, so I am always putting full beam on inadvertently. And then, when blatting along a country lane after dark requiring main beam, I always seem to be changing gear when an oncoming car is encountered so I need another left foot to dip the lights.

Give me a dipswitch on a stalk anytime - I usually have a spare finger to dip the lights, the driver in the other car always seems to have a spare or two!
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:

While reading the first posts on this I was composing my criticism of floor mounted dipswitches, and then came to Peter's support of this particular pet hate. Give me a dipswitch on a stalk anytime

Excellent! What dull place the world would be if we all agreed on everything.

Peter Very Happy
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Peter's post was a plug for an automatic!
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
I thought Peter's post was a plug for an automatic!

Paul, you're just trying to wind me up.

Yes, in addition to dip stick stalks I also hate automatics. Stupid things change down or slip at the slightest provocation even with a powerful torquey engine and of course they can't anticipate the need to change down when you do want more grunt.

Do you get torque converter lock up switches? That would help. Useful for decent standing start acceleration too. Otherwise you're stuck with revving up the engine in neutral then slamming it into gear. A bit brutal.
Twisted Evil

Peter Evil or Very Mad
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
in addition to dip stick stalks

Peter

Now I see why you are confused - you have been trying to check your oil level with a stalk on your steering column !!
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! I could end up with an unfortunate nick name. Shocked
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, personally I like both floor mounted dipswitches, and automatics.

The thing that I dont like about cars is the fact that they all seem to have an ignition switch that must be operated by the right hand. Dont Car Designers (or designers in general) realise that there are left handed people in this world?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ you should try a Stag, ignition key on the LHS, gets me every time as I try and put the key into the light switch Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: