classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Epic French weekend?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Epic French weekend? Reply with quote

Tomorrow we set sail for La Belle France trying to ignore the harbingers of doom already hanging around out necks.
Yesterday, Nigel, the youngest member of the group, driving the Morris Traveller, was carted off to hospital with suspected heart problems. He’s ok, but the trip’s off for him. (Can’t load his car up with our baggage to make room for the duty free now)
Ran the engine of the Sprite while heating-up the headlights to fit the deflectors and found a large pool of oil underneath… near panic, but tightening up the filter housing seems to have cured it.
Worst of all: the rest of the group want to visit Citie Europe to kill time on the way to La Chocolaterie de Beussent. Citie Europe is the memsahib’s and my idea of hell, a vast conglomeration of concrete and retail outlets. We had visions of a nice leisurely lunch in a small restaurant, but still, the others aren’t ‘foodies’ like us.
We’re catching the 6 am boat from Dover, so that means leaving at 4 (is there such an hour)… the good news is: the weather forecast has changed from appalling to just uncomfortable. Will take photos and report on our adventures.

Last edited by pigtin on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I thought of your good fishing craft when I saw the title, and with your pst stories was affraid this could be the last straw Laughing . Look forward to the pictures!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have a good trip!!! Smile
don't forget they drive on the wrong side

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they? silly bu*****s, not having any of that malarky, I'll not have Brussels change my habits of a lifetime. Wink
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as your pal is unfortunately out of action, and the weather report a bit mixed, perhaps you could borrow his Traveller, to load up with essential 'supplies' (hic). Perhaps this is a sign that you should hunt down a classic estate car, to replace the special (and maybe one other) with???

R
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that IS tempting Confused
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190229282053&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009
Cheap as chips, load it up and drive it back! Wink
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great bonnet mascot, the car's not bad either. Wink
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back... but reports may be slightly delayed. Not being used to sun I forgot to put blocker on the backs of my hands: two day's driving in an open car has left them fried. Who said the weather was going to be bad? Embarassed
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands seem better now, so here we go: At check-in at Dover, hold-up three cars ahead turns out to be MGB. Does not like starting when hot.
Had to leave them behind and meet up later in France. A diligent RAC man got them started and they caught a later ferry. We made it to the chocolate factory at Beussent with no problems. We then discovered we were being navigated by a small 'idiot' sat-nav called Tom-Tom mounted in the TR2.
After the choc factory (embarrasingly infested with hundreds of teenage schoolgirls, on school trips) we pressed on to the hotel at Bruay La Buissiere where the MGB died of a flat battery (loose fan belt).

A good meal at the hotel and a well needed night's sleep.
Next morning... a sight that chilled my blood. Five people programming Tom-Tom with the location of the caves at Arras. I took no part in it, the spectre of a rutted cart track with grass up the centre and dead end loomed large in my mind.

Tom-Tom took us through Arras, past the caves, 3KM out of town turn right and where do you think we were? You've guessed...
Tom-Tom was roundly cursed and a discussion started as to how they had programmed him wrongly. I don't think they had... the device is an idiot!

We found the caves by reading the signs we passed earlier and parked near a nicely patinated 2cv.
The lady guide told us we would be (walking in obscurity?) in the dark caves, and also... the Germans had failed to find these caves in 1917
I wanted to tell her that the latest sat-nav had also failed to find them ninetyone years later, but thought better of it.
We visited Vimy Ridge then headed for the boat, a stain on the road told me that the Sprite had started to lose a little petrol from the tank(perhaps it was trying to escape to a less taxing environment) Just outside Calais I was flashed by a radar camera.
After a long wait to get past the immigration checks we made it to the boat and a slap-up meal in Langhans.

There was a disgracefully shiny Cobra waiting to board the boat at Calais.

I shall be looking nervously for the postman for a while now Crying or Very sad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like quite a trip! hope the Gendarmes forgot to put a film in that day Sad

RJ
VWPowered

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta be careful the cops are dead sneaky here, hope they didnt get you, sounds like you had a good weekend otherwise...

not a classic but a weird site here, today i saw a english reg hummer Confused
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed days indeed in France. The last time I travelled down the A6 autoroute (ok it was 20 years ago Rolling Eyes ) it was 70 mph in the inside lane 100 mph in the middle lane and 120+ mph in the outside. Shocked Oh, and not a gendarme to be seen.

Peter Very Happy
poodge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "deuche" is obviously a running restoration(odd left mudguard.Dutch registered,so a visitor too:).Nice condition though.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a postscript to the trip... The leaking fuel tank. I don't know whether to be relieved of embarrassed: Went out to the garage to remove the tank and discovered the leak was nowhere near it; further investigation found a plastic 1 Litre bottle of oil leaking into the back of the boot. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: