classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

!967 Midget horn push
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
eddie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: !967 Midget horn push Reply with quote

Hi Pals,
My 67 midget has a rocker switch on the dashboard to sound the horn which I find stupid, I have removed the plastic surround off the steering column to reveal a brass contact which when i press it against the column sounds the horn, but there is no connection to the horn push in centre of steering wheel. Has anyone got a exploded diagram of the column including horn push etc. It is not shown in haynes manual.The column is hollow all the way down with a small hole in the side of column near the top
Help !
Eddie Sad
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie.
Yes, there should be a wire from the centre of the horn push that probably goes out of the hole you mention. If you have a ground connection from the steering shaft (unlike mine) the possibility is the wire was removed because the horn kept sounding when it shouldn't.
As you mentioned, there is damn all in the Haynes manual to tell you this, but if you get a Moss catalogue it shows exploded views but no wiring.
But it does explain an "Embarrassing Horn Fault" caused by longditudinal play in the steering thrust washers (in the rack and pinion)causing the horn to sound when not expected. It goes on to suggest you check this by pulling the wheel back towards yourself--then pushing in. This may explain why the wire was removed and the horn switch relocated.
It can be corrected by re-shimming, but Moss suggest fitting an exchange rack and pinion. This is all on page 69 of the Moss 'Sprite and Midget' catalogue... well worth getting a copy.
eddie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Midget Horn Reply with quote

Hi Mate,
I have the Moss catalogue it shows a couple of variations of the cables, but I can't understand how it can work because when you turn the wheel it must surely eventually snap the wire. I will give Moss a ring on Monday.
Cheers. Eddie Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie. It can't snap the wire because it rotates with the shaft, I believe it connects to some sort of slip ring on the shaft. (from Memory).

Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: