classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin 4x4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Patvetzal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Austin 4x4 Reply with quote

:) I recently came across an old 4x4 abandoned (?)in the bush. At first glance I thought it was an old Land Rover but then I noticed the rust holes. When I looked at the front I found AUSTIN above the grill. It is a two seater with a metal cab and an open back. 4cylinder engine,solid front axle and Lucas electrical components and about an 80"WB. I thought at first that it might be a Champ or a Gipsey but I haven't found any decent pictures of either one to compare. I hope to return to it within the next few days. Any suggestions about what to look for? Pat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Sounds like it is an Austin Gipsy. Main thing to look for (I'm told) is body rot, unlike the Landy (which has a mostly aluminium body - bulkhead and chassis are steel however) the entire body of the Austin is made from steel, and can rot extremely well..

An image search on google brings up some pics
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=austin%20gipsy&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

rgds
Rick
Patvetzal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it is definitely a left hand drive Gypsey with a 90" wheelbase and a fiberglass cab. The last license on it is 1972 but has probably been used off road since then as all the tires still have air in them. The upper rad hose is missing but the carb, gen and starter all seem to be there as well as the seats and starter crank. I will be talking to the owner in about two weeks. It came with the property and he had planned to scrap it. Yes there is some rust but not as much as a CJ5 of similar age would be expected to have.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with it, sounds like it may be worth rescuing!!

cheers, Rick
Patvetzal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: midnight ramblings Reply with quote

A couple of nights back( I've been up late with a bad cold) I found a website in British Columbia of a Gipsy owner that had a fantastic amount of info. I tried to bookmark it but must have sneezed because it disappeared into cyberspace. I have been looking for the past two days with no luck. Does anyone else know where to find it? Pat :?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: site Reply with quote

Hi

Is this the one?

http://gipsy.flying-a.com/

I tried looking on google but thats pretty hopeless nowadays, yahoo brought it up quickly!

rgds
Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: