classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Pop 103E Water Pump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
drdean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Ford Pop 103E Water Pump Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I've developed a slight drip (ooh err!) which I think is coming from the centre of the water pump.

Have any of you had any experiences with the water pump refurb kits that are available? Or have any of you ever taken the water pumps apart on the old Ford Pops? I'm a bit wary of opening the thing up and having a dozen springs and clips jump out at me.

Cheers
Dean
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean, I haven't any experience of dismantling these water pumps, but having a quick look through the Workshop manual, it doesn't appear to be too complex.
Do you have a manual, if you don't, it would be money very well spent as it covers dimantling,inspecting and re-assembly of the water pump and has very clear diagrams. Available from the Small Ford Centre amongst others, priced around £20
Hope this helps, good luck
Greg
drdean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking for a publication like this but didn't know that these reprints were available. I have a real mix of handbooks that are too old and manuals that are too young (eg 100E Haynes). These are ok for most things but one of the areas were the 103E/10hp/1172cc/E493 (whatever you want to call it) differs from later 100E models is in the water pump.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked here now.

If anyone has any water pump tales I'd still like to hear them

Cheers
Dean
1stpop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 103E - and have got the books and workshop manual - just a little confused tho as mine doesn't have a water pump on it? Let me know if I can help? would be happy to organize some copies for you..

Steve
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this link would be any help:

http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/part.phtml?PartID=426
drdean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Just an update on the water pump episode.

Steve, not all 103Es had water pumps. In fact, I think the norm was to NOT have one but some were supplied on export cars and were also an option for the home market.

Thanks to you guys advice I bought one of the rebuild kits for £20+, which was about £100 cheaper than buying a new pump. Plus a workshop manual which I didn't know were still available. I'm really pleased with this book as its just what I was missing.

Now about the pump. Firstly, you need a hub puller to remove the pulley wheel from the front of the water pump. This part was the easy bit. Then you can pull the rest of the pump assembly out through the back of the pump housing.

The first thing that I noticed was that the rebuild kit was slightly different design to the original innards. This wasn't a problem its just that the assembly has been slightly redesigned but its essentially the same. The problem was trying to get the brass bush (on which the main pump shaft runs) out of the pump body. This took hours and in the end I used brute force to remove it. Equally difficult was installing the new bush, which then had to be filed to remove the burrs that I'd created trying to get it on. Once sanded slightly the new innards were running smoothly.

I think the only reason that the pump was leaking in the first place was that a fibre thrust washer that is supposed to sit between the pulley wheel and the face of the pump was missing. Presumably worn away over the last 50 years.

The pump seems to be working at present and is running smoothly, quietly and drip free.

Thanks for your help guys. I recommend these pump rebuild kits but am still not sure of the best way to remove the old bush and install a new one.

Cheers
Dean
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would need to go the "press" route they are not expensive and come in handy for all sorts of bearings etc, floorstanding usually 10tonne and bench about 6tonne pressure clarkes sell them for 100quid ish Rolling Eyes
Much better than battering a bearing to get it in a housing
I would probably have heated the elements up in the oven first and fitted them hot Embarassed

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you've solved it! Very Happy
As Greeney says, a 'Press' would have probably been the tool to use, I think you can hire them as well,( ready for the next time you need to change it in another 50 years time!) Shocked Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: