classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1957 Pontiac Super Chief
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
rayndrops101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: 1957 Pontiac Super Chief Reply with quote

Hello,
I have inherited a 57 Super Chief that is in need of restoration. This is my first attempt at anything like this so I am hoping that anyone who has any advice will please tell me.

I have known this car for about 15+ years and when it first came into my family it was running. It has been parked under a tree, slowly decaying for the past 10 or so years. I hope to have it back to original in a year or two. The hardest part so far has been finding any information about the car. Apparently they were only produced for two years.

I have always enjoyed car shows and reading about other peoples projects, now it's my turn. Hopefully I will have my own success story to share someday.

Thanks,
Maranda
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely car, Maranda.

Welcome to the forum.

There are some members here that I'm sure are only too willing to offer advice or point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
rayndrops101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here she is:

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone please tell me what these numbers are for? They are on a tag inside the driver door. Thanks. :}
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miranda,

First of all welcome to the site. Very Happy

With regard to your car, there are one or two of us who own American vehicles, so I'm sure they'll join in giving you our best advice to help you on your way.

My recommendation is to first search the web and find a Pontiac make web site, there are one or two out there, so try a Google search and see what you come up with. A word of advice, spend a little time reading what the members on the sites you find are like before you registered and ask questions, sadly some sites have members who can be a little unkind to novices and I would hate it for them to spoil it for you.

Consider joining a Pontiac club, that way if you need parts you have access to perhaps reduced prices and experienced like-minded people who will advise, and maybe assist you in your restoration.

Check out your local library (or Barnes & Noble, etc) and see what books there are on your Ponitac. I have a feeling there won't be much, but I think the running gear and some body panels / glass will be the same as '57 Chevy's, not the engine though - the guys here hopefully will either confirm that last statement .......... or call me a donkey for getting it wrong! Rolling Eyes

Have a plan, don't take on too much - try not to pull the car to bits in the first month, then spend the next two or three years trying to figure where everything came from. Take pictures as it is now for reference, trust me here they'll be worth their weight in gold when it comes to reassembling the part months later.
Throw nothing away until your absolutley sure the replacement part fits, works and continues to work, even then I still don't throw the old part away - just in case!

Good luck, its gonna be fun! Wink

Last edited by Scotty on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers P 757 H 40949-

P = (Assembly plant) Pontiac, Mich.

7 = (Model number) Series 27

57 = (Model year) 1957

H = (Transmission) Hydra-Matic

40949 = (Sequential unit production number) For the Pontiac. Mich plant they started the 1957 model (production actually started on 10.17.1956) at unit # 1001 and ended at # 90,357. So yours very approximately was produced in the middle of the production run. In total the calender year output was 343,298 cars.

There should be a Fisher Body/Style number plate under the hood on the lefthand side on the firewall, this is a usful number to have as well. Wink

Last edited by Scotty on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
rayndrops101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions. I did realize before joining that most of the members did not own American cars, but I figured that most seemed to be serious about their cars and therefore could probably offer some needed direction, as you have.
I am simply excited about my car and am willing to listen in on the stories and tips exchanged on this site to gather whatever help I can.

I have been searching for local clubs but as of yet haven't had any success. I shall continue searching. Smile Thanks again.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maranda, great to hear of your project and see the photos. As Scotty said, planning before jumping in is essential, especially when the car is new to you. Find out as much as you can, contacts for parts and advice, and general restoration tips on how to approach a full-on rebuild, before stripping anything from the car.

One golden rule - never throw anything away, however useless or battered it may look now - one day you may need it if only for a pattern, or to compare with new parts found with a supplier!!

Rick Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maranda welcome; I am not an huge American car fan but I do like the 50s cars and in the end they are still metal and engines, god, are they big metal and engines Laughing
This is one of the good sites, enjoy your stay
I smiled a bit when you said a year to restore "all being well"
I usually get laughed at with my everything in its place style but believe me its invaluable when it comes to rebuild, dont ever think you will remember where that wire or bolt will go. Spend a while going around the car before you even think about taking it apart.

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney in France wrote:
I usually get laughed at with my everything in its place style but believe me its invaluable when it comes to rebuild, dont ever think you will remember where that wire or bolt will go. Spend a while going around the car before you even think about taking it apart.

Amen to that, the big help nowadays is the digital camera. Photograph everything before it gets removed, that way you have a record of how it was fitted, and then photograph as something is dismantled, never trust to your own memory Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be one similar to yours here in the Norwich area. Same colour, too. I'm not sure if it's still around, though.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a heat sealer and a couple of different rolls of plastic bag tubing, i find it ideal just to seal up maybe 2nuts and a washer with a handle, the alternative of course is the sealable freezer or fridge bag, they even have white labels already for you to write on
Lots of cheap stacking boxes too to put them in
I have know of people saying "get it finished in a year" and still have it in the garage 10yrs later Embarassed

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant add much advice to what the others have said, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maranda, welcome.

'Fraid I,ll not be much use for big yank car info, each of mine would probably fit in your boot. Oops! it's a trunk on a yank car isn't it? Embarassed

Don.
rayndrops101

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info. And yes, thinking that I will have my car restored in a year is the result of an overactive imagination coupled with beginner's enthusiasm. Rolling Eyes
Apologies to all for bringing my "big yank car" to your forum, but she needs lovin' too. Wink I'll try not to be to intrusive.

Maranda
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apologies to all for bringing my "big yank car" to your forum, but she needs lovin' too. Wink I'll try not to be to intrusive.

Why the apologies? you are very welcome here whether you have a moon buggy or a combine harvester

All cars are equal, just some are more equal than others Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: