classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Newby Hall Rally
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Roverron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Newby Hall Rally Reply with quote

I went to the Newby Hall rally near Ripon at the weekend & was quite amazed to learn that several men (one was wearing a Yorkshire Rover Club shirt) had spent about 10 minutes discussing my Rover. Amongst other things they mentioned that my car has the wrong hubcaps (it hasn't) and the wing mirror is wrong (it isn't an original Rover fitting but it is of the correct period/style) If people are going to pick spots about a car they should at least know what they are talking about. Anyway, it is MY car & I'll do what I want with it. People shouldn't be so rude. Has anything similar happened to anyone else here?
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody.

My favourite is: "It looks like a Morris Minor". Evil or Very Mad

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I know what you mean Roverron, years ago I took my E83W pickup to a show and there was this old fella, going on and on about how they never made them with the steel back body. I agreed that this style of rear body does look a bit narrow for the width of the cab, but did mention that this exact model features in Ford literature of the time, but he still wouldn't have any of it. I gave up in the end.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble with putting a car up for judging is the judges nitpick over anything 'that should be a crosspoint screw not a flat one' syndrome. Half the time I don't think they know what they are doing.

Problem with Newby on Sunday was we were parked (for the second year in a row) adjacent to that b***** barrel organ Sad At least I wasn't a steward this year, so didn't have to put up with the abuse from certain exhibitors who insist on doing what they want rather than doing as directed
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never entered my Checker cab for judging and have been asked several times by judges, Why not? I told them it's not a level playing field. Puzzled looks and I then continued. How can you judge a Morris Minor that lived a nice little village and driven twice a week. It is then bought by someone who does a cheque book restoration ordering all new parts from some fantastic catalog.
How can you compare that to a genuine ex-New York cab, that has 3/4 of a million miles of some of the worst surfaced streets in the world. The lower six inches of the body is almost non existent. You struggle to find body parts anywhere in the world, let alone this side of the pond, you have to make everything. You do all that for someone to pick flies because something is a bit out of line or does not look original. Not for me, Thank you!
Oh and quite a few told me they were built by Chevrolet Rolling Eyes
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before on here, I stopped showing cars when someone nitpicked over the fact that I had replaced a phillips with a pozidrive...plain stupid.

I might just show my Lincoln when it is finished though, just because its so rare, the chances of anyone being able to discuss the details and being correct are non-existant...
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a show near Aberdeen (Grampian Transport Museum) and was sitting at the back of the Chevy, dozing as I had a bad headache, when I got poked on the shoulder to hear "Yon's the wrong wheels on yir Chevy!"

I looked up and saw this guy staring down at me and now being less than happy I replied - "Let me save you some time - its got the wrong wheels, the wrong colours, the wrong brakes, the wrong interior, the wrong engine, the wrong gearbox, the wrong suspension and the wrong trim ............. BUT its mine and I've done my best with it to the best of my ability! So what have you got?"

And here's the sixty-four thousand dollar reply I got - "I dinna have yin, ah jist like to look." Mad

My subsequent reply would be bleeped out by the automatic censor here I'm certain.

Don't bother about these people, they'll never be satisfied, let them live in their own personal hell finding fault in everybody elses vehicle - life's too short for that nonsense. And just for the record, I have no problems with those owners who work towards 100 point cars, many of them are a joy to see, its the others who need to find fault I have no time for.

Last edited by Scotty on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
As I have said before on here, I stopped showing cars when someone nitpicked over the fact that I had replaced a phillips with a pozidrive...plain stupid.

You want to hear stupid - I'm so anal I tighten up my phillips heads so they're all in line! Rolling Eyes

I NEED TO GET OUT MORE!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told the fellas doing the Dodge that there are to be no crosshead screws of any description to be seen - in this example, its just as easy to use the right thing as the wrong thing, so may as well be correct.

On Sunday we're off out to a show in the A55, and that has plenty of non-original bits on it, and has a decidedly shabby-chic air about it - I wonder if anyone will spot the non-original bits on it, and pass comment, during the day... Laughing

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what they will say when they see that I have replaced some bolts on my 300 with Torx and 12-points?
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a different world with an A7 special: "Haven't seen one of those for years; Chummy isn't it?" "My uncle used to have one of them... but it was a Morris." I love telling them I built it myself in 1998, it's the only one there has ever been, or ever will be. I once had an A7 know-it-all (they're the worst) picking at my previous special (a Super Accessories kit from the fifties.)
I said yes, yes, to all his criticisms then smiled at him broadly as he climbed into the most badly restored Ruby I had ever seen.
I'm afraid these days I welcome such people and make sport with them; rude, I know, but they will just have to learn to recognise a miserable old smartarse when they see one. Laughing
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best example of the pompous nitpicker:

A friend built a Spitfire on a GT6 chassis, he had repositioned the main fuse box and had a "chocolate block" connector fixed to the bulkhead to extend the loom.

Along came smartarse and to impress his friends was heard to say
"Nice restoration but that connector spoils its originality"
My friend replied
"and the extra two cylinders doesn't?"

That was the moment when the so-called expert lost all credibility - priceless
Geoffp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's originality got to with it anyway. Didn't the whole thing start in the 20s as Concours D'Elegance in upmarket seaside resorts such as Cannes or Monte Carlo or nearer home places like Torquay or Bournemouth. As I understand it the prize went to the most elegant car and occupants and extras such as cocktail cabinets extra spotlights and the like all helped, in fact .
I also though that it had now just degenerated into a 'cleanest car' competition with judges poking their white-gloved hands into all sorts of unlikely places (of the car not the owners Wink ) to help decide this and not the sort of nonsense some of you have described Sad .
The original idea seems appealing to me; I would love to see this revived Smile

Geoff
Roverron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, these people weren't judges. I never have my car judged. They were just some Rover enthusiasts, I use the term loosely.
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, they are the worst. Had 4 guys in my garage the other day insisting my landcrab was a Maxi. Pillocks. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: