classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Exonite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
AlexUK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Exonite Reply with quote

Hi all,

does anyone know anything about a coating called Exonite? (used circa 1920's on deluxe vintage cars and also aircraft) Also know as black exonite. I have found out the original company who made it and gave it its trade name, but i need to find out more about it so i can replicate it. I also know it was offered by a few manufacturers as an alternative to nickel plated parts like door handles etc, i guess giving that 'art deco' feel.

Any help would be much appreciated.
dclf1947

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Exonite Reply with quote

Hi Alex

I think that "Exonite" is a plastic coating not a plating. The reason I think this is having checked it out I have come up with the following references to it.
In the Flight magazine of March 14. 1914 Page 275 the first entry states "other exibits will consist of Exonite lever handles, transpararent sheets, winscreens, non inflamable dope, laquer and varnishes. Exonite covered stranded wire and Exonite tubes and rods."
Another reference to the well known Allcock fishing wheel states "The Allcock Aerial" to have twin tapered Exonite handles. A further reference to a 1920 RR Silver Ghost found in Australia states that it had it's original Exonite steering wheel. That Exonite could be made transparent suggests very strongly that it is a plastic.
Hope this helps.

Dave
Philippines
AlexUK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, yes you're spot on there, it was made from cellulose nitrate and stabilised, very similar to celluloid at the time so early polymer plastic properties. Replicating it is going to be tricky though.

I cant be the only person that needs to recreate this, does anyone know of a product they have used to gain similar results?
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are companies that re-cover old steering wheels, wouldn't that be a similar material? I have often wondered about using the material used to plug Tenpin Bowling Balls for re-drilling to repair the cracked covering of steering wheels, but never got around to trying it.

Don.
AlexUK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point pigtin, steering wheel repairs would be very similar. I will do a bit of digging around - thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: