classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Latest project home...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-H

You are absolutely correct, I have just checked with my event entries database and found some more NNN XU* on recent re-registrations.

Prior to that I had only seen the *SK, *SU, *SV, *FO, *AS series, and perhaps others, all with the numbers after the letters.

So the Royal's plate is not a mystery after all, just a recent re-reg.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I saw the Royal at Shresbury today, looked quite a good job, thought of you UJ, and took a pic, you can look at it, if you come over, but I can't get it on here as have lost my phone cable! hehe

Cheers

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ, does the spare ride under the bonnet, atop the engine? i was curious after seeing the domed pressing on the underside. the severe curvature of the windscreen seems out of character for an economy car; they're expensive to produce and create wicked distortion of view on the sides.
marvelous little car; and it's in pretty good nick!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the spare does ride under the bonnet. The boxer engine is so low, there is enough space under there.

As far as I have seen so far, it is in pretty good condition. I've got just one piece of welding to do on it, thats all. Thats not caused by rust, but by something tearing a piece out of the metal. If all goes as planned, the welding will be completed today, and then I'll start to clean up in the engine bay.

A box of spares came with the car. As always with barn finds, something odd is found. In this case it was an ''almost brand new'' 30-odd year old Groundhog...I wonder how many on the forum can remember those!

I think that I've mentioned this before, but the car has been standing in the barn since Nov. 30, 1977.... Shocked
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

A 30 year old one of these must have smelt a bit - surprised you didn't know it was there Very Happy

The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as the woodchuck, land beaver or whistlepig, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.
poodge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice find,UJ.It does seem in quite remarkable condition,having stood for 30 odd years.There can't be too many of those about now.
If it's a 700,it must be a later model,as the early models still had the 600 from the Goggomobil.Does yours have the "back to front" gearchange?
This was a legacy from the prototype,which was front wheel driven.This was dropped because of price and complexity.There was also some sort of problem with the fuel supply,which caused high(for the size of the engine)fuel consumption.Some alloy parts warped due to excessive heat,which caused leaks.Don't know if this was ever remedied.
There was also a pretty little Kombi available.I've seen photo's of a convertible prototype,but again,I think this was dropped due to excessive cost.Oddly enough,a few T700's were actually sold here in New Zealand, these being the face lifted 1960-on model.
Did you know that Glas actually was one of the first manufacturers to use toothed belts to drive the overhead camshaft on their 1004 of the mid-60's?They were quite a sporty little car,especially when the engine size was upped to 1200cc.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianM: I was refering to the british groundhog, Dunlopus Rubberus....

Poodge: As far as I am aware, it is the 700, the early model with the twin Bing carbs. It does have the normal gearchange pattern. From what I have heard, Australia and NZ are a good spares source nowadays.
Geoffp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, I stand corrected Embarassed I've seen a few tractors with FO numbers at steam fairs, but never a three letter Radnor one.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk has made me investigate the previous history/owners of this car. Its pretty easy to do here.

So far I have discovered that it was imported here in 1968, and has had 5 owners, including dealers. When I get my fax working again, I will have the addresses for these people. I wonder how many are still alive.

Though its counted as being a 1962, indications so far point to it being an earlier car, 1958 or 59. For the exact date, I am awaiting confirmation from contacts in Germany.

Incidentally, in true eccentric british style, the project has been given a name. I darent mention it on the forum, as one member will come and kill me.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: